Gastroenterology Community
Pale stool, kinda worried.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pale stool, kinda worried.

For the last week, maybe less, i've noticed that my stool is lighter in color than usual.  It's almost a pale green/yellow color.  Not really any brown tinge to it at all.  The only things that I can think may have caused it is I have ate less meat lately, so low iron? And i've also recently, in the last week, started eating 12 oz of yogurt a day.  It says it has live cultures in the yogurt or whatever.

So my question is when should I be concerned and could those two recent changes be the cause?

I can't go to the doctor because I just can't afford it, I'm already bankrupt from the hospital visits I have made recently.  I know I can't get a diagnosis, I was just wanting some opinions.  

thank you

Also it might help to mention that I get heartburn ALOT.  So I may have acid reflux, but im not sure.
Stool that is pale or grey may be caused by insufficient bile output due to conditions such as cholecystitis, gallstones, biliary dyskinesia, giardia parasitic infection, hepatitis, chronic pancreatitis, or cirrhosis. Bile salts from the liver give stool its brownish color. If there is decreased bile output, stool is much lighter in color.

Reflux can be a symptom of some of these as well.

Personal experience: I was getting the same thing, heartburn, pale stools, etc. I was also getting bloating, which I felt in my back. Turns out it was biliary dyskinesia, no stones.
Seems like if i had some sort of condition there would be other symptoms?  Besides heartburn, I dunno maybe not?  How long should I give it to go away
Not necessarily. Pale stools and heartburn can be the ONLY symptoms.
how long you think i should give it to go away, couldnt it just be low iron or something? or too much yogurt
Change your diet and give it a week. In the mean time, go to the doc and get the blood work done to see if it's low iron. You'll want to try a gallbladder diet like the one outlined here: http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs11.htm.
I'll change my diet and give it a week, but I can't afford the dr's visit. The only way i'm going anywhere is if I have to go to the ER, because they don't charge you right then.
stopped eating the yogurt for about 24 hours and all is normal again.  So thats good, thanks for all the info though.
If you are taking antiacids for the heartburn, I read that they can cause pale stool.  I'm having the same problem.