Gastroenterology Community
Paralysed Bowel/Chronic Constipation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Paralysed Bowel/Chronic Constipation

For 2 years and 7 months I have had many problems with my bowel.  I have seen many doctors and this time last year they came up with the theory that I had some type of parasite which I had picked up on an overseas trip.  Sure, that theory did prove right and I was treated for that parasite in August 08.  Last friday I saw a new doctor who is the head of the Dept. of Gastroenterology here in Melbourne at a very large hospital.  He has now come up with the theory that my bowel is paralysed or I have a spastic colon.  He agrees with all the other doctors I have seen and that the parasite is not to blame for my bowel situation.  He said this is more like a 'mechanical fault' and my bowel needs to be re-trained in how to function.  He suggested I start eating very high fibre foods which is the complete opposite to what I have been told in the last 18 months = low fibre, gentle foods.  There is a Doctor who worked in London for several years and he specialises in people who have this so I am possibly seeing him.  He again mentioned surgery as a final solution.........so confused, this is like living in a nightmare.  It may sound so pathetic and 'oh, wow, big deal, her bowel doesnt work so once a week I have to take Picolax but..........only I know how this really feels - pyhsically and emotionally!

I feel like I am in a big black hole trying to fight my way to the top and everytime I see a little light, a little ray of hope then = NOTHING!!!

Has anyone had this condition or going through the same thing.  Any suggestions.......??????? PLEASE!!!

There have been postings on Medhelp whereby the suggested treatment of last resort for chronic constipation is a total colectomy.  You should ask your specialist whether he/she concurs with this line of thought.

If you wish to contemplate this operation then you might like to read my own experiences of this surgery which I placed in Medhelp in response to another Medhelp patient's question.  You can find it on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Do come back if you would like any further information

regards
Morecambe
I know we've talked before but I was just thinking out loud..did you ever go on that drug that was pulled from the market a few years ago for IBS-C sufferers...I think it was called zelnorm.  It was yanked because of heart problems but before it was pulled from the market I took it and it did the job...made the muscles of the colon work better..I think for special cases it's still allowed.  Did you ever give that a try? :S