Gastroenterology Community
Partial hysterectomy and now bowel problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had been reading a lot on the boards and I'm "fairly" young (44) and had a partial hysterectomy (one ovary left) due to a football sized fibroid, endometriosis & the likelihood that a different form of surgery or treatment would be ongoing and challenging.

The problem is now I have had bowel problems since.  While it seems most that I've read is constipation mine varies from acute diarrhea with mucous to constipation and I noticed small amounts of blood last year.  Since my father died of rectal cancer, I was obviously concerned and had a colonoscopy as well as an endoscopy to make sure everything was allright.  Everything came back completely clean with the exception of some inflammation of the stomach and esophagus (heartburn), however ever since the colonoscopy things proceeded to get worse.  They did find two small internal hemorrhoids but I am in a constant state of not knowing when I'm going to have to run to the bathroom.  After finally getting my doctor to take it seriously he put me on cipro for 5 days.  While that seems to have temporarily helped I'm now back in the same situation.  Granted, my diet could be improved fiber-wise but I've never had these problems prior to the surgery.  I had a wedding in Seattle and literally had to take 5 immodium a day just to get through it.

Anyone with similar experience?  Did my uterine surgery alter the way my bowels are going to perform forever?

Thank you!
My grandma had a similar problem, but it was with the other end. I'm not exactly sure what happened to her, but for several months after the operation, she would 'leak' or just start urinating, no matter where she was anywhere. Even now, after taking a specific prescription for it, she sometimes wets the bed or just wets herself (from laughing or coughing too hard or just not catching it in time).