Gastroenterology Community
Passing blood through rectum - WHAT TO DO?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Passing blood through rectum - WHAT TO DO?

Hi - I am a 43 year old woman and I have been passing lots of blood lately from the rectum - even when I am not having a bowel movement! In the morning (the worst time of the day for this problem), I can sit on the toilet and literally push out blood - sometimes up to what would be 1/2 cup. This problem is typically associated with lower back pain, constipation, and followed by extreme lethargy.

Yesterday I had a CT scan which checked for kidney and/or gall stones, and both areas turned out clear. The doctor said that there was blood in my urine but that my hemoglobin was fine. I was diagnosed this year with fibromyalgia, so I understand fatigue, but lately I have been almost unable to drag myself out of bed for more than a few hours at a time. I am also powerfully nauseated, always feel full up to my throat, and have absolutely no desire to eat anything except Cheez-Its or dry cereal (don't ask me why - I typically don't even like that kind of stuff!). I have been constipated, but when I did have a bowel movement on Tuesday, it was puny and I didn't feel relieved. I also passed a startling amount of clotted blood.

I am scheduled for an "emergency" colonoscopy next week, but until then, I don't know what to think. I also don't know at what point to get concerned about the amount of blood I am losing. Please note that I totally understand that one tiny drop of blood in the toilet can look like a whole lot more than what it really is, so my estimation is close to accurate.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Also note that I am not losing weight so I don't think that cancer is a concern, unless the weight loss is being countered with the weight gain I have experienced with taking the drug Lyrica.

Thanks!