Gastroenterology Community
Passing gas with mucus and stomache pain but not IBS?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am an otherwise healthy 21 year old female. Last year I had a bout with problems with diahrrea that I was getting almost every other day or so and was taking immodium to help. It went away for almost a year so I'm not sure it is related to the problem I am having now since it's a bit different but I thought I would mention it as background. My doctor never found out what was wrong after many blood tests, ultrasound, a CAT scan, and meeting with a specialist and she claimed it was not IBS.

The problem I have no is that for the past week, every single morning I wake up and with 15 minutes (if not immediately) I need to go to the bathroom. I have the same cramps I had when I was having problems with diahrea except when I get to the toilet nothing comes out except gas and mucus. The is no blood at all, just mucus and sometimes a bit of a BM but it is literally a very tiny amount of soft stool and that's it. Then usually the rest of the day I feel fine. It just happens every single morning and there have been no normal BMs since it has started, only the small amount that comes after the mucus and gas in the morning.

Does anyone know what is wrong or what I could do in order to help it? I though about even do an enema at home just to get something out even though I don't think it has to do with constipation since the stool is soft. Should I go back and see my doctor again? or will it pass? Any help is greatly appreciated.
The reason your having this reaction every morning when you wake up, is because like yourself, your colon sleeps at night as well. And when you wake up, so does your colon. Most people with IBS and severe IBS have this issue in the morning. The colon wakes up and immediately wants to get going. So even if there is no stool ready to pass, your colon gives you the feeling you have to go and you end up on the toilet.

Now, the excess gas and mucus is another issue, but due to your wakening colon, its the reason this is coming out first thing in the morning. Have you tried a probiotic? This generally helps with gas and diahrea. The morning BM issue may pass. With IBS'ers, it can come and go in flares. If you find this being a general daily issue, consult with your doc on other options. But til then, try a probiotic and see if it helps.