Gastroenterology Community
Perforated appendix: How long can recovery take?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Perforated appendix: How long can recovery take?

I had an appendectomy on October 14th for a perforated appendix with peritonitis. I was in the hospital for nine days while the wound was draining. Now it has been about 5 weeks, and I still feel soreness in the appendix site when I press on it or digest food. Last week I walked a lot and did some pushups and squats, and the following day I felt a twinge at the appendix site whenever I moved. My intestines are still a little inflamed and feel irritated during bowel movements. Is this all normal? Should I limit activity or be concerned about secondary infection?
Hi,
How are you? Aside from the irritation and what other symptoms are present? Recovery usually depends on variety of factors such as your medical history, the operation, the extent of inflammation and how well your body responds.  If you had perforated appendix, recovery is usually slower and more likely to develop an abscess or other complications such as fistula, abscess, blockage of the intestine, peritonitis or infection of the surgical wound. If the symptoms persist, it is best that you check with your doctor for proper evaluation. Direct physical examination and additional tests may need to be done also. Take care and do keep us posted.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...