Pernicious Anaemia
I am 23 and was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia Feb this year. I've recently starting having very bad stomach aches after eating and I was wondering if anyone else with pernicious anaemia has experienced this. It happens most times after eating and can be quite painful, like a burning and aching sensation.
Thank you! :)
Charlotte
Hi there,
In Pernicious anemia there is a decrease in red blood cells that occurs due to improper absorption of vitamin B12.There is loss of gastric parietal cells which are responsible for the secretion of intrinsic factor, a protein essential for subsequent absorption of vitamin B12 in the ileum. There is autoimmune atrophic gastritis where autoantibodies are produced against parietal cells and intrinsic factor. This can result in symptoms of gastritis.Replinishing stores of vitamin b12 and symptomatic management may help in resolving the symptoms. Consulting a doctor for proper diagnosis and management will help. Take care and regards!