Please help, I am in pain.
Intense pain in my stomach area, hard to describe, so bear with me. I am a 23 year old female, 5'1 and about 80lbs. Tuesday night I began getting these sharp pains in my stomach. It is right under my rib cage in the center, just above my belly button. I think it's not gas pains because it's not in my intestinal area. These pains come in waves, every 20-40 seconds, I can feel it slowly building, then reaches its peak and fades out. Then it happens again. This has been going on for about 40 hours straight. I have managed to sleep for a little while last night and now I am at work, the waves of pain keep coming, thankfully its been varying degrees of pain. For a long time this morning, each one was very severe, I'd say about a 7-8 on a scale; right now they are at about a 5, but it will get worse, it's a cycle.
Part of me wants to believe that this is a reaction to anxiety and stress, because of recent situations, but that would be the first time my body has reacted to stress like this. It feels like my stomach is "hiccuping" like its being forced back up the tube that leads down into it. I know that sounds odd but I don't know how to better describe it. I apologize for being long-winded, if anyone has any similar symptoms, suggestions, or knows what this might be, please share. Thank you so much,
-Mennie.
This could be several things, you should see your doctor.  Stress can do many things to one's body, but this type of pain would not be indicative of being stress related, unless you have an ulcer.  You're young, so it's probably something minor, but see your doctor and put your mind at ease.  Best of luck to oyu.
there is many possibilities...it could be a hiatal hernia...from the way you describe the pain...however it could also be a gallbladder issue or severe GERD it can range from bad to horrible...but if the pain level is high you need to consult a doctor ASAP best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask....keep me posted
Thank you for your feed back, I read about ulcers and it seems like it could be, tho I couldnt find anything about the wave of pain. The area that aches matches that of an ulcer though. Again, thank you very much; I will see a doctor as soon as I can! I hope indeed it is minor :)
Thanks for your input! I read about the things you suggested- hiatal hernia seems to describe somethings, like the ulcer information did. There's just no explanation to the steady wave of pain. Its now late into the afternoon and  continues to swell with pain every few seconds. Usually, with abdominal pain, I would bring my knees to my chest for a relief, but that seems to intensify it. I need to see a doctor, do you know what kind I should see? I very rarely see doctors, all I know of right now is the pediatrician I used to see when I was a little one. Do you suggest going to the ER? Thank you again for your help!
i would see a GP, just go down to a local family practice and make an appointment...if the GP believes you need to be further evaluated he will send you to a gastro-enterologist...and a hiatal hernia can cause a constant pain as well, it all depends on the location of the hernia... and when you say you are "hiccupping"  your stomach up, that is a classic sign of hiatal hernia...if you have any questions feel free to ask