Gastroenterology Community
Please help: "clay colored" stools
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Please help: "clay colored" stools

With respect to bilary obstruction or liver issues, what qualifies as  concerning "clay colored" stools?
I read over and over that pale and clay colors are conerning - but I am hoping to uderstand what color the "clay" being referred to is...is it gray (like sculpting clay)?  orange-ish (like a clay tennis court)?  Far from light brown?
Please let me know the range of concerning colored stools.

Thank you very much in advance.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It's a greyish or whitish color. It's not just a lighter than normal 'brown-type' color, which can often verge on 'yellowy.'
Blank
Thanks for the info!...just trying to rule things out.  
if the liver was causing "abdominal pain" ( i assume swelling since there are no nerves?), would it be in both the front side and the back side?  I have some aching in the back, right side - just inside/under the scapula (shoulder blade)...nothing really noticable in the front.  
Cheers!
Blank
541234_tn?1266678697
1st thing i had clay colored stools dx was IBS had colonoscopy,  i had gallbladder diease  dx 3 yrs later  dr found polyps i was dumping green antifreeze color liquid yellow neon colors with clay color , the  dr will ck for hepetitis (hepatitis) A, B, C varieties  , do you have yellow eyes or skin?  iv drug user? medical position pancretitis liver enzymes stool specimins , blood work  gallstones bile ducts plugged  could be anything, see a dr, now walmart sells digestive enzymes look for ingred. amelyse lipase protease  if your organs are stressed you will feel better by adding these our organs produce these enzymes but i was lacking one so it helped me,
i was bloated sick nauseaus food made me sick. tender guts ....
Blank
how do you check for gallbladder or liver disease?  I have fatty liver disease and clay colored stools some dull pain on the right side
I take choline soemtimes
Blank
ill, you need to have the doc run some tests: liver and pancreatic enzyme level tests and since you mention the right-sided pain, having a gallbladder ultrasound and HIDA scan with CCK injection might not be a bad idea either.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...