Gastroenterology Community
Polyps in Esophagus

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Polyps in Esophagus

My mom just had a biopsy for a small polyp (.6cm) discovered in the lower part of her esophagus near the stomach. In 1999, they had discovered another polyp but it disappeared and has recurred presently.  The doctor said that it was benign but suggested that she undergo an ultrasound. The biopsy results indicate that the polyp was inflammatory and had reactive epithelial changes. From what I've researched online, usually ultrasounds are only recommended for those who have esophageal cancer, but the doctor did say the biopsy was benign, so my mom and I are both confused and worried about the results. I would really appreciate your feedback on why the doctor ordered this test. Thanks so much!