Positive Results on Anti-Smooth Muscle Antibody test
Hi there!

I had high liver enzymes flagged (GGT, AST and ALT) on a blood test for a new job.  They asked me to investigate further and I had a  blood, urine and ultrasound done locally.

The ultrasound concluded fatty liver, but no other abnormalities.  However the blood test Anti-Smooth Muscle Antibody (ASMA) test was Pos++.  GGT and ALT again were a bit high (ALT - 86; GGT - 168.6), but in all other respects, blood and urine results were fine.

My doctor has referred me to a liver specialist, and had mentioned that the ASMA test can be associated with Autoimmune Chronic-Active Hepetitus.

I have had a history of heavy alcohol consumption (beer) and poor diet, which has resulted unquestionably in the fatty liver condition.  However, investigating AIH, I see that I have none of the symptoms of this complaint, and have noted that a positive test usually goes hand in hand with other markers, which are not apparent in this case.

My question is whether, first of all, this could be an ASMA test anomoly and in fact a 'false positive'.  Secondly, could the fatty liver condition have contributed to the ASMA test result?

I would appreciate your views.

Regards and a Happy New Year to all! :)
I am wondering the same thing!  I do have another autoimmune disorder called sarcoidosis.  I too have had off and on elevated liver enzymes and fatty liver.  I just tested positive for the ASMA.  Maybe this means it truely is a positive.  Have you had an ANA done?