Gastroenterology Community
Post GB removal diet

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Post GB removal diet

I had my gall bladder removed, along with a stone blocking the common bile duct, three weeks ago. When I left the hospital, I was given after care instructions that included orders to eat a low fat diet. that hasn't been a problem. I'm eating Healthy choice and Lean Cuisine and I actually like it. I'll ocassionally cheat, but not often.

I've heard from other post GB patients that were given no instructions for a low fat diet, in fact they eat what they wish with no trouble. I've gotta think ; since the GB releases bile to cope with a fatty diet, it's not good to be eating a fatty diet with or without a GB. What has been your experience?
Billwh, I don't have direct experience with this problem, but in my opinion, I think you're wise to be following a low fat diet. I hear a heck of a lot of people have some rather miserable experiences when they go back to eating a regular high fat diet after having GB surgery. Granted, the only stories we're hearing on the boards are from people having problems, but that 'problem rate' seems to be rather high on this specific issue.

In addition, I really don't think the GB is a 'garbage' organ. It's there for a reason, even if we only believe - at this time - that it concentrates only a portion of the bile that's released during the day. Why only a portion? No one knows. Why is having a portion of the bile that's released purportedly important? Again, no one knows. But that organ does it and it's got to have a role in digestion.
I spoke with the nurse at work who had the GB removed and eats whatever she pleases with no problems. A man I heard from on another message board said he sometimes has diarreah (diarrhea) from certain foods. As he put it, "when you gotta go, you gotta go, if you know what I mean!"

I do! My favorite meal is steak and eggs with hash browns. In the 3 weeks since my GB removal, I've had it a few times, usually without trouble. Yesterday, I had diarreah (diarrhea) a half hour after this breakfast, but my system cleared up later in the day.

My surgery was three weeks ago. I was quite sick with vomiting, sweating and pain. I had an infected GB, and a stone blocking the common bile duct.The GB HAD to go.

Maybe it takes time for the body to adjust. Anyway, I'll stick to the low fat diet and only occasionally deviate.
i had my GB out 5 weeks ago so i do try to keep on a low fat diet. you'll know what you  can eat and not eat. i can't eat pizza. my stomach will bother me. my doctor says it takes time 6 mths to a yr. also he told me you don't need your gallbader and no reason why it was put there. basically so doctors can take it out:) good luck  
To calgal you have to experience  to understand