Gastroenterology Community
Post Surgery Pain-Gall Bladder Removal
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post Surgery Pain-Gall Bladder Removal

I had gall bladder removed 6 days ago.  Doctor found scar tissue had attached gall bladder and colon during surgery. Detached and removed gall bladder.  For the past 3 days I am having severe pain when (or trying) to take a deep breath in that area.  Had CT of area and showed that that area of the colon was "irratated" with no tears.  Blood work is clean, no clots, no fever or evidence of infection and having bowel movements.  Doctor believes that this irratated area is the cause of the pain and should clear up over time.  Can the colon heal itself?  Thoughts?

Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If the gallbladder was inflammed and putting out chemical mediators into the surrounding tissues that caused the adhesions to form in the first place, it's very possible that the colon may still be irritated after the connective tissue adhesions were removed. It may take awhile for that situation to resolve, especially since you've just had an organ removed and you're slowly healing from that.
Blank
469934_tn?1333138882
I'm not a doctor and don't know much about this stuff beyond what I am learning through my own illness.

This resource might help you: http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/en/Default.htm, search for colon.  If you cannot manage your pain, talk to your doctor about getting some medication to help until you have a chance to heal.  You really need a good month to heal and with pain that severe, you should have some short-term pain management.

Keep an eye out for fever over 100 degrees F. and severe fatigue.  If this becomes a problem, contact your doctor immediately.
Blank
The same happened to me.  After 2 trips to the er, I stayed very medicated.  For about a week. Then the pain went away. Good luck!
Blank
469934_tn?1333138882
How are you doing?  Any improvement in your symptoms yet?

All the best,

Sam
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949