Gastroenterology Community
Post-colonoscopy brain fog

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Post-colonoscopy brain fog

I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy yesterday morning to check for celiac and anything else they could find and was given fentanyl/versed. Afterwards I came home and slept for 8 hours, was awake for 3 and then slept for 8 more, during which I had nightmares and woke up with sleep paralysis once. This morning I woke up feeling fine physically but very wrong mentally. I have had derealization and anxiety for the last few years and it got worse during the gluten challenge I did before the endoscopy, and today it is unbearable. I can't stand to be in the same room as other people, or even have the lights on. I am still very tired and have been really depressed, crying off and on since I woke up.

Is this just an after effect of the drugs or should I be concerned? I was already worried about taking the Versed because I've heard horror stories and it seemed like a bad idea with my brain fog, but they didn't have anything else to give me and my knees were literally knocking together beforehand so I had it anyway. It's been 21 hours since I had the drugs, and I'm worried that I've made a horrible mistake and I will stay like this forever. It's kind of freaking me out.
Anesthesia can cause a myriad of problems and the fact that you 'gluten-challenged' before hand could make things worse for you if you have problems with gluten. For those with either gluten intolerance or gluten sensitivity, it's a horror.

What you're going through could be a combination of both. Don't worry, it will wear off.

If you come back negative on the biopsy and you know you react to gluten, please don't go back to it. Many don't have a positive biopsy result in the early stages of celiac and can be falsely told 'you're fine.' Double-check the result with a gene test. It could be well worth your time, money and sanity. You can ask your doc to do the gene test, or go to enterolab.com and do it yourself. My husband had first-hand experience with that issue. He carries 2 genes for gluten sensitivity - not celiac disease - but he reacts to gluten as if he does have celiac disease.