Post gallbladder removal- pain in chest, ribs, sternum
Hoping a dr views this question. I am 3 weeks post op and continue to feel like my ribs (front and back lower), sternum and middle of chest feel bruised and very sore. The other day I experienced an excrutiating pain in the middle of chest down through my sternum area, it hurt so bad I broke out in a sweat. It kind of felt like the pain from the CO2 gas used during surgery, but it has been 3 weeks. Could this have been from the gas? And why do I feel so sore throughout the chest cavity....did the surgery bruise this area or is it due to acid reflux? I don't really experience any burning, it is mostly soreness. I have felt like my ribs and diaphragm were bruised from the gas.
Hopefully someone else has experienced this and knows some answers?
there are so many different things this could be. it can range from severe cardiac problems to simple musculoskeletal issues due to either stretched muscle from the surgery or maybe a displaced vertebrae impeding on a nerve causing chest pain(pre-cordial catch syndrome, costochondritis)  there are many other causes, but this could possibly be acid reflux or an esophageal spasm...however this does worry me you got chest pains and started to sweat...there is always possibility of infection after surgery and infections can target whatever they want. or at the worst case cardiac issues. i suggest you go to your doctor or surgeon and schedule a follow up...but if you get any chest pains that are bad enough to make you sweat GO TO THE E.R.!!!!!!!!! best of luck and plz keep me posted

P.S. im not a doctor but i am in med school
laura....what is going on???  You mentioned the pain to me..didn't know this was still going on.  I certainly hope you go and see your doctor ASAP again or just go to the ER.  I just want you to feel better!

Moira
Dr put me on a 2nd round of antibiotics for infection in chest possibly from surgery and cough medicine with codiene for cough especially at night.
EKG was fine....not heart related. He definately thought the pain attack was a esphogeal spasm.
We also think that the surgery kicked up the costochondritis that I had my first bout with about 6 weeks before surgery. Nice.....:(   So how do I deal with the costo? Time?
We will see what the chest x-ray shows.
I think it is time for a good adjustment by chiropractor. He did one a week ago with the activator, but it doesn't work well or hold on me. Time for good ole fashion cracking! Maybe that will help.
ON a good note the abdomen is feeling better and I am finally able to start to stretch without it hurting! yeah!
Now I want to be able to breathe properly and not have the chest pain and rib pain! lol
yea i was pretty sure it was costo- but it will heal anywhere from 2-6 weeks...youch...i know you can take NSAIDs(non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug) or if your doc gave you some pain meds just take those, for costo i would reccomend  500mg hydrocodone, if not strong enough you could try 900mg NORCO(hydrocodone) worst comes to worse you could take Percaset(oxycodone) varying mg...i dont know if your a pill kind of person or natural healing...but i would have to recommend seeing a graduate of Palmer College of Chiropractic, they use the most effective adjustment techniques and they will deliver a good "cracking" ...the chest x-ray is going to show inflammation of the costo-sternal joints and displacement of the costo-transverse vertebrae of the spine.... best of luck and plz keep me posted
I had my gallbladder out last thursday (31st) and I am 17 ( I have polyps in my gallbladder) and every day since I have been having issues with my ribs chest and sternum and causing a lot of discomfort mainly in my right side and it cause me pain to sleep, and this Wednesday (6th) I woke up with the pain took 2 tablets for it and I felt a bubble trapped and then I got this pain sharp sharp pain in my mid Chest and it was so bad and branch to my stomach and go paramedics and got taken to hospital and been on drip blood test, had and it was what they thought my pancreas a stone or sludge from the removal blocked the tube and cause irratation to my pancreas so I was on fasting for the next 45 hours -.- and I got out today Friday (9th) and I can't sleep as I have pain in my ribs again (right side mainly) and it is also in discomfort. Did you ever figure out the rib problem? And any reccomdations?