Prednisone and throat/ esophageal sensitivity?
I am just curios  if anyone has experienced this. About a year and a half ago, I had a severe asthma episode and coschondrits for the first time. I was put on a 2 week coarse of Prednisone along with ibuprofen. By the end I had developed an issue swallowing pills. Even my small thyroid ones felt like they got stuck. Then it progressed to coughing up small hard bits of food, severe reflux, etc. After too much testing, the problem mostly resolved except for lingering occasional esophageal spasms and the thought that some was just hypersesivity. I just had to take a short corse of prednisone again and three days in, I started getting the same problem. After I swallow, it feels like pills are still in my throat. Could there be a connection to the prednisone? I hope the swallowing issue isn't returning.
Hi there,
Prednisone can cause gastro esophageal reflux disease as one of its side effects. The symptoms of GERD are heartburn,regurgitation,difficulty in swallowing,nausea,pain with swallowing etc.It is possible that the symptoms experienced by you are due to prednisolone.At the same time other predisposing factors for GERD are hiatal hernia,obesity,Zollinger Ellison syndrome etc.It is suggested to visit your attending doctor and get evaluated. You may need medications like proton pump inhibitors.H2 receptor blockers etc.Do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!
Yes, I already do take 40mg of Omeprazole 2x day. I have had GERD since being pregnant with twins over 4 years ago. when this happened last time! I had 2 endoscopies and bunch of other tests the revealed little. The problem seemed to resolve on it's own, but  started up again during this corse of Prednisone, so I thought there would be some connection.