Gastroenterology Community
Problem digesting red meat

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Problem digesting red meat

I am 14 years old and have a problem with my digestive tract. Everytime i eat red meat it doesnt digest fully. I dont throw it up, but it sits in my stomach, rots, and causes me to burp. The burps smell like really bad poop. What can i do?
Bman, some people are unable to eat red meat. Check with others in your family to see if they have the same problem.

If this is the only food it happens with, the easiest thing to do is just avoid eating it. But if the 'sitting in your stomach' happens with other foods, or if you're burping the same sulphur burps, you need to be checked by a doc for H. pylori and the possibility of delayed gastric emptying.
Avatar n tn
well its only with red meat. and no-one else in my family has the problem. guess that means no more tacos.
I began having exactly what u stated and more, by time I was 15y. The comment made to you what accurate; for example, I was diagnosed with delayed gastric emptying, it is what it sounds: your stomach takes longer time to empty than most ppl. That alone can give many issues.... let alone if there is something more going on which is why I HIGHLY recommend, if you havent and still having issues; to seek a g.i. doctor/a gastrointerologist... they may need to perform many tests incl. one the avarage person, esp. kids/teens, would say no way to; the colonoscopy.... I did that too, and as an adult had regretted that choice soooo much, since my issues didnt go fully away even after eliminating the problemtaic foods/drinks, etc; and tummy things can lead to serious issues with time and take away ability to enjoy life easy; dealing with the pains, upset stomachs,etc... I hope you've faired better than I.... best of luck!