Gastroenterology Community
Problems after colon resection
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Problems after colon resection

I had open colon resection about 3 weeks ago.  I am currently suffering with re-occurent fatigue during the day, tacichardia, constant nausea (wetness in the mouth), a feeling I have something stuck in my throat. Constant Acid Reflux.  When I eat I get bloated in my stomach, and then I go to the toilet, where I only manage to get rid of a small amount of stool.  I also feel like my rectal muscles aren't working properly yet.  I feel like I have little strength and am worried.
How long does it take to get back to normal, to have a normal appetitie, strength, life etc?  I still have drainage from my surgical site also.  Please help me, I feel like I am not going to get better.  Thank you.

Robert
Related Discussions
Hi - I underwent a total open colectomy just over four years ago.  I placed some information on Medhelp in response to another patient and you may like to log on to:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Your surgeon has a duty to "get you well again" and I feel that this has not yet been accomplished and you should return to him/her for further help.

Yous symptoms certainly seem to be more lingering than I can remember in my own case.  Regarding the nausea, I suggest that you ask your surgeon whether you might have a residual ileus or other constraint of the remaining intestines. Also I suggest that you ask whether there could be a residual/newly formed obstruction in the remaining intestines or at the point of the anastomosis (= the sutured join of the "tubes").

OK - it is only three weeks after the operation and you are bound still to feel a bit sore and certainly easily fatigued - but, in my opinion, your digestive system should be working better such that you can eat modestly (without nausea etc) and pass motions normally as well.  As I mentioned in my posting, I would have expected your motions to be quite liquid and frequest by now.

By the way, how old are you?  I was 58 at the time of my operation so if you are well into your 60's/70's then maybe the recovery time will be lengthened.

However, if definitely feel that you should request another meeting with your surgeon and take a list of all the questions that have entered your mind since the surgery.  Don't leave the consultation with the feeling that you have learned nothing new.

Good luck
Morecambe
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979