Gastroenterology Community
Problems after colon resection

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Problems after colon resection

I had open colon resection about 3 weeks ago.  I am currently suffering with re-occurent fatigue during the day, tacichardia, constant nausea (wetness in the mouth), a feeling I have something stuck in my throat. Constant Acid Reflux.  When I eat I get bloated in my stomach, and then I go to the toilet, where I only manage to get rid of a small amount of stool.  I also feel like my rectal muscles aren't working properly yet.  I feel like I have little strength and am worried.
How long does it take to get back to normal, to have a normal appetitie, strength, life etc?  I still have drainage from my surgical site also.  Please help me, I feel like I am not going to get better.  Thank you.

Robert
Hi - I underwent a total open colectomy just over four years ago.  I placed some information on Medhelp in response to another patient and you may like to log on to:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Your surgeon has a duty to "get you well again" and I feel that this has not yet been accomplished and you should return to him/her for further help.

Yous symptoms certainly seem to be more lingering than I can remember in my own case.  Regarding the nausea, I suggest that you ask your surgeon whether you might have a residual ileus or other constraint of the remaining intestines. Also I suggest that you ask whether there could be a residual/newly formed obstruction in the remaining intestines or at the point of the anastomosis (= the sutured join of the "tubes").

OK - it is only three weeks after the operation and you are bound still to feel a bit sore and certainly easily fatigued - but, in my opinion, your digestive system should be working better such that you can eat modestly (without nausea etc) and pass motions normally as well.  As I mentioned in my posting, I would have expected your motions to be quite liquid and frequest by now.

By the way, how old are you?  I was 58 at the time of my operation so if you are well into your 60's/70's then maybe the recovery time will be lengthened.

However, if definitely feel that you should request another meeting with your surgeon and take a list of all the questions that have entered your mind since the surgery.  Don't leave the consultation with the feeling that you have learned nothing new.

Good luck
Morecambe