Gastroenterology Community
Problems urinating after colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Problems urinating after colonoscopy

I hope anyone can help with my question. I am female, 31 and had a colonoscopy this morning at 08.30 under sedation/painkillers due to a strong family history of colon cancer. Everything went without complications and fortunately nothing was found so a biopsy wasn't necessary. I feel ok and was able to be picked up at 10.00 am. My only problem is now that I do not seem to be able to urinate since the colonoscopy. I do have a strong urge to urinate (I have not been to the toilet since 6 am this morning) and feel the urine filling up my bladder as my stomach is starting to hurt a bit but as much as I try I am not able to urinate. I never had any problems with it before. Do I need to be concerned about that? Is it just a matter of time until everything is going back to normal? I could not find any information about it on the internet and my consultant did not mention anything that I might experience problems like that. Is that normal?

The best thing to do would be to call your doc and ask. You should not be having problems urinating.