Gastroenterology Community
Problems wiping after bowel movement (orange coloured) + itching

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been experiencing (I say recently its probably a few months on and off) difficulty wiping after visiting the bathroom, my visits seem to be quite often even upto 3-5 times per day when I used to be able to go daily without any problem.

After passing a stool (can vary in size from anything down to thickness of little finger), I often feel like I cannot fully expel my bowels and as if something is there that doesn't quite want to come out.

Anyway, when wiping after sitting there for some time and nothing happening, the wiping never seems to stop... recently i've identified the colour as orange but it seems to take many wipes in order to procude a clean wipe (and without being graphic, I seem to have to dig in as much as possible to try and clean every last bit up.) I then occasionally get itching of the anus.

I would appreciate any help regarding this, i'm not sure if its possibly dairy related (cheese in particular, although it seems to also be regular occurrence with tomato based foods.). I try to eat clean as much as possible and avoid excess fats where I can.

I am 24 yo male from UK.
Hi, it sounds like you have hemorroids (hemorrhoids) probably caused by straining to have a bowel movement, they cause bleeding and itching.  You may have some irritation as well from the itching.  The first thing I would do is go to your local drugstore and get a tube of Cortizone 10 cream. Keep the area very clean and apply this cream after very bowel movement and it will stop the itching immediately.  Having the urge to go and not being able to is normally a sign of IBS, so I suggest you see your doctor and go from there. In the meantime start eating yogurt enriched with probiotics, drink plenty of water and use a stool softener like Miralax...you may have to play around with the dosage a bit.  I think by doing the above you will see a difference in about a week. I hope this helps and let us know how you're doing.
Diverticula?

Hi all, I think I had a bad stomach bug or something and a mild case of IBS. Nothing too serious :(.