Gastroenterology Community
Proctitis - new diagnosis post hysterectomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Did any female get proctitis after pelvic surgery?

Symptoms started 2 months after a vaginal hysterectomy (5 months ago) and I am suspicious as to the timing.
Anyhow, my GI doc. just told me "Take 1000 mg Canasa suppositiories forever. See you next year."
I do not accept that. Going for a second opinion next week!
Canasa is making me worse and I stopped it for a week now. I was diagnosed Feb. 13/08.

As a woman, how do you feel your symptoms? I started feeling them vaginally thinking it was due to some kind of prolapse after my surgery. One month later I was diagnosed with anal fissure. After 6 weeks it healed but my symptoms were the same, so I got a colonoscopy. GI doc said "mild ulcerative proctitis" and put me on the Canasa. That's it.

I feel pain in my hips, perineum is sore, vagina gets irritated with sex, pain on top of left thigh and inner thighs.  Rectal pressure and sometmes pain. Never had constipation.  I was on strong antibiotics during surgery and then after surgery which makes me suspicious.

Any ideas?  

This discussion is related to Proctitis.
I know you're extremely upset at the whole situation, but it may be hard to tie the proctitis in to having a hysterectomy although the majority of cases have no known cause and are called idiopathic proctitis. But these are really a variant of a more serious condition called ulcerative colitis - just a bit more limited in scope. And although the 'cause' may be unknown, U.C. is felt to be a disorder of the immune system, specificallly an autoimmnue disorder.  

But there can be a couple of other causes of proctitis. Literature suggests proctitis can be caused by physical agents including chemicals inserted into the rectum, medications and radiation. Sexual disease related proctitis can also occur. Sexually-transmitted diseases which can cause proctitis include gonorrhea, herpes, chlamydia, and lymphogranuloma venereum.

You might want to check on the meds you were on during and after surgery. There are some meds that are implicated in U.C.
Update since last post: I went to another Dr. (Colorectal) and he said I do NOT have proctitis or Pudendal Nerve Damage.  My muscled "down there" are just spasmed from the surgery, stress and anal fissure.
I had PT which helped a bit.  I quit that when I found my symptoms returned under stress. This pain lasted 1.5 yrs until I re-examined the cause myself:

I re-read my books from Dr. John E Sarno (cured my back pain in 2000) and realized the cause was the same: stress/anxiety related and took hold after a recent incident.  In this case it occured after hysterectomy. (Back problem in 2000 started after falling and then getting a spasm the following day-lasted 2 yrs!)  
I have minor proctitis due to radiation for colon/rectal cancer.It is very painful at times and I suffer from occasional bowel leakage. I have been told that kegel excersize can help.
  Most information I can find is for womens problems or sexual problems and I am not concerned with either of those.I am only interested in improving my proctitis.
  Can you show me an external excersizer for men ??

Thank you
John Ramey
***@****
Please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.