Gastroenterology Community
Proctitis question...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Proctitis question...

I had believed I had ulcerative colitis for a few years and the dr. tells me yesterday I have a case of mild proctitis.... has anyone with proctitis ever experienced chest discomfort, and tons of upper ab bloating, etc? maybe even chest bloating it feels like???
Wow- I know your comment was put up a long time ago, but I thought I'd answer anyway...

I just got diagnosed with Proctitis yesterday. The cause is still uknown at this point. It could be rectal colitis, a parasitic infection, or even cancer (unlikely.) I'll know next week. In my case, the symptoms were fatgue and blood in the stool. But, I didn't have nay pain- and certainly didn't have any chest discomfort. Yes- on the bloating. I have had that.

Has your doctor considered parasites as a possibility?
what causes proctitis? each time i have a flare up  i've been traveling, sitting with my dad & sleeping in a hospital chair that make a bed, lifting, or spring like cleaning. a fews days later i start bleeding ( notice when i wipe after a bm) then the muscles in the rectum become weak & i have to rush to use the restroom. i have had uc which is under control but was diagnosed with proctitis in the anal area.  what causes this & is there anything i can do to stop it. yhis has been under control for 6 yrs.
I got diagnosed with Proctitis about 9 months ago. My doctor told me that it can just be a autoimmune response which causes it to flair up. I have not been able to keep it under control. It will be fine for a while and then it will flair up for weeks and/or months. I was prescribed Canasa suppositories to keep the inflammation down but I don't really think they are working that well (I have to go see my doctor about that). I was reading that taking too many doses of antibiotics could possibly cause Proctitis. Last year I was on antibiotics for about a month and a half because my doctor thought I had bronchitis which lasted about 2 months. I thought it was strange they prescribed so many prescriptions for antibiotics because i know its not good to take too much but I did what she requested. I later found out that my bronchitis wasn't going away because i was actually allergic to house mold which i was exposed to and staying away from it was my simple remedy (go figure). So i am convinced that taking the antibiotics for a long time, basically for no reason, started attacking the good bacteria in my large intestine and now my body thinks the good bacteria in my colon is foreign which causes the inflammatory response. I am not a doctor but that is my theory for this whole thing...