Gastroenterology Community
Protruding Lump in Stomach when doing sit ups!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have noticed when I work out, I have an oval muscular protrusion in the center of my stomach that goes up when I do a sit up.It is small about the size of a small 5" nerf football. Any ideas what this is?? It is embarassing at the gym, it has no pain to it....I am possibly thinking a haital hernia?? Don't know I could be wrong....any help would be appreciated!
YOU ARE TELLING MY EXACT STORY = i am 46 & I have the same nerf football in my tummy ... NO PAIN... please talk to me... I have no insurance or job ..& living in fear... & moving forward.  HELP
Hi trish
I have a similar protrusion as patrick and yourself.
I am 47, male and whenever I get up from laying
down, ie: like sit ups a small football shaped mound
appears at middle to top of stomach. Visiting docs
in next couple of days so will post outcome.
From different posts I am thinking enlarged aorta.

mick.
Usually a hernia will be to the left or right of the abdomen area.  It may appear as a golf ball or tennis ball in shape.  From what you are describing (I have it myself) is called, "diastasis recti."  Go to LiveStrong.com and type in  "diastasis recti in men" in the search box.   This is very common and should not be a cause for concern.  If the lump is there constantly and not just when excersing then you should consult your Doctor.
Hi Allanon. You were right for myself. Visit to docs a month back confirmed Diastasis Recti. Although unsettling to see when doing situps and much more so with leg lifts, doc has assured me it is common and no need for concern. Good health all.

Mick (sandyant.....lost old account details).