Gastroenterology Community
Puss in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Puss in stool

I hope this is not something serious, but I am a little concerned. I am a 22-year old male, and have been suffering with hemorrhoids for the past two months or so. I have blood in my stool before, but went to the doctor, who after an exam said it was just a pile, which did heal in a few weeks. About two weeks ago I started having the same symptoms as before - it seems it's a recurrent hemorrhoid, but today there was quite a lot of whitish puss in my stool, acompained by a little red blood. I don't have a fever right now, and I am definitely going to see a doctor next wednesday (I am abroad right now). I know no one can provide a diagnostic on this forum, but I would be interested in any opinions over how serious this is likely to be. Thanks!
Pus is whitish/yellowis/greenish, mucus is translucent, fats are white/foamy/sticky. So, if it is pus, this is from inflammation or infection, probably in the colon, and possibly from Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. Other possibility is diverticulitis (search); which may get infected with bacteria. And then it can be food poisoning, but this would probably go with obvious diarrhea.

Stool test, blood test, colonoscopy - this is the order of investigations, you can expect.
Thanks for the reply. I have an update on my situation. My stools do seem to be thinner now, but not quite pencil-shaped (more like 60-70% of normal diameter), and there seems to be a mass of swollen veins just inside my anus, one of which almost came out when I tried checking. Maybe I haven't titled my thread right, because actually there wasn't pus in my stool proper, but it was expelled sort of spontaneously (through the most embarassing flatulation), together with a small amount of red blood. I haven't really been having any other sort of problem -- have checked for fever and am on the look-out for abdominal pain, but nothing so far; I know this can be potentially serious, and I will see a doctor as soon as I am back home, but in the meantime I can't keep myself from thinking about a lot of bad things. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Pencil like stool are probably from hemmorhoids which narrow anal canal.

Mucus is often in hemorrhoids, and it is translucent, opaqe, jelly like substance. Pus would be more creamy and foul smelling
Okay, that clears up my anxieties for now; I thought of the same explanation, but badly needed some reassurance; you're most likely right, it was probably mucus, as it was whitish and gelatinous; will stop thinking about this for a couple of days until I can see a doctor.
ive been having prombles lately im 24 years old and been to doctor to doctor ive just experenced mucus in my stool also having really bad abdomal pains for about a month!! i also have anxiety i really dont want to stress about this and trigger my anxiety should it be something to stress over or is this normal??
I have notice that everytime that I make poo I see pus white color in the beggening of my stool...is that serious desease