Gastroenterology Community
Pyloric Stenosis Surgery - Adult Problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had surgical correction of pyloric stenosis at 2 weeks of age. Now, at age 54, I'm experiencing some strange symptoms which I'm beginning to suspect may be related to that long-ago surgery. When I eat or drink, it feels like the food or liquid is getting "backed up" in my esophagus. I have to really work at swallowing. I also feel like my stomach is "full" all the time, even when I haven't eaten for hours. I have frequent bouts of heartburn that last for weeks on end, and do not respond to antacids. I eat a mostly healthy diet, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, not much meat or dairy, no alcohol, no smoking (sounds pretty dull, huh?). Any other PS adults out there experiencing similar symptoms?
I trust you have discussed this with a doctor?  These symptoms could be unrelated to your PS or its surgery but come from an esophagus or stomach problem. I suggest you also read the recent posts on other MedHelp pages (questions) on PS.  See the Related Discussions box which is on this page now for the links. On the page "pyloric-stenosis-scartissueinfantcausingproblemsin-adult" several people discuss symptoms which may or may not be similar to yours. Some PS people have troublesome adhesions from the surgery... and over the years adhesions sometimes spread. But there could also be another cause in your case. Worth checking out. Best wishes!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. Lack of health insurance has prevented me from seeing a physician. America, where only the wealthy get to be healthy...
I also have pyloric stenosis. I am taking a proton pump inhibitor and a histamine based new type of anti-depressant that inhibits the signal that tells you your full when eating - it also greatly increases appetite. the dosage I have been prescribed is half that of what's considered the starting point therapeutic dose for depression.

I've noticed that I don't get full so soon, and the nausea after eating is gone.

As for healthcare I live in Canada where healthcare is available to all, but it is seriously rationed. I had to wait over a year for an endoscopy and another year and a half for a CAT scan. It took a total of five years to begin to find out what was going on. Doctor's here will only allow you to discuss one complaint per visit and there is  a 4 to 8 week wait time to see a doctor. If your referred to a specialist the wait will be a year or more. My doctor also ordered tests that were refused by provincial healthcare when the lab was requisitioned for them. One endoscopy is allowed every 5 years and CAT scans only upon the request of a GP and two specialists.