Gastroenterology Community
Question about Nexium - when?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Question about Nexium - when?

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to quit nexium (on my own), not by doctors advice.  This week I started have a burning in the middle upper abdomen, burping, nausea, constant swallowing and diaherria.

So, I started the nexium again.  I can't remember how long it takes to start working really well.  I was on prevacid for about two years before that.  I just have GERD, but no damage or ulcers (on original diagnosis three years ago).

Can anyone tell me how long it took to start working?  Day three and it's a little better, but no where like before.  Before I could eat anything and do anything and had no problems (on nexium).  Also, nothing else is working on the burning (H2 - Pepcid/Tagamet) or antacids, on the burning...in the meantime.  Food makes it worse (I swear before three years ago food made it better), and I've cut out big meals, pop and am down to 1 small coffee each day.

Thanks for any help/advice on when the Nexium will really kick in!
This event is a chance to re-check what's going on within your stomach. Burning, worse after food, is a sign of gastritis or even gastric ulcer. The first investigation in this case is a breath test for H. pylori bacteria, which may be the cause of gastritis, burping, and bloating. Just continue with nexium, more info about drugs is on drugs.com . Avoid anything acidic (fruits, fruit juices, aspirin...), also proteins (meat) which trigger acid secretion.
hi, basically when you stop taking nexium, it takes a few days to build up enough acid in the stomach to make you really feel it, and ofcourse when you get back on it, it takes just as long to neutralise it and block it, so be patient, i should know ive been on nexium for seven years and every now and then i give it a break for about a week, and what happened to you happens to me every time, cheers.
Thanks!

I am feeling better today...day 4 on it and I think it is working better.  Stupid pharmacist said "you should feel better the first day you take it"....I so know that THAT statement is not true....even the nexium web site information says it may take some time to start working (the "some time" is what you guys helped me answer).  Thanks again!
Hi I noticed you have been on nexium for a few years can u tell me how long it takes before nexium kicks in. I have been taking them for about 10 weeks Recently diagnosed barratts oesophagus gastritis hiatus hernia oesophageal ulcer. The ppi have now healed the ulcer but still have bloating tight band feeling under ribs which is driving me scatty can you tell me if this is normal many thanks