Gastroenterology Community
Question about bloodwork - scared

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Question about bloodwork - scared

For the past few months, my iron bloodwork has been low and I'm having trouble understanding the results. In July, my bloodwork was normal, but my iron serum and transferrin saturation was low (iron serum was 30 and saturation was 8%). Hemataologist did 4 weeks of IV infusion (Ferracet?) and bloodwork is now worse. Iron serum is now 27, saturation is 8%, TIBC is normal and ferretin jumped from 35 to 135. However, hemoglobin dropped from 12.5 to 11.7. Hematocrit dropped from 37.5 to 34.5. RBC are now 3.9 and low MCV. What does this mean? I am a 45 yo female. Taking BC pills continuous so no bleeding and no other bleeding that I know of. Only symptom is tiredness. Last colonoscopy was 8 years ago and has always been normal. I do have IBS but no inflammatory problem that I know of.
Sounds like your hormones are out of whack.  Why didn't they just recommend that you take iron supplements instead of giving you iron IVs?  It would have been less invasive and your iron levels would come up slowly and at a more normal pace.  Sounds like your body rebelled against the IV and expelled the "extra" iron.  I would just buy iron supplements and have my blood checked again in a couple of months.  Remember, doctors are just practicing.  They don't all have the answers all the time.  Maybe you need a hemotologist or an oncologist to check you. - I have an iron problem and I see an oncologist.