RUQ pain X 2 months
I have had recurring pain under my right ribs for 2 months now.  It is definitely much worse after eating, but hurts off and on all the time.  My primary care doctor ordered an ultrasound, which was negative.  I then had an upper GI, which showed GERD, so I was referred to a gastroenterologist.  He has since ordered an EGD, a CT scan, and an MRI, all of which were negative for everything except a small cyst on my liver, which he said is not what is causing my pain.  I asked about a HIDA scan, but he said that he is "not a fan" of them because if it comes back abnormal it doesn't really mean anything.  Also, my lipase level is slightly elevated at 421.  So now I wait another 2 weeks for another appointment with this GI doc to see what other test he wants to do.  Should I get a second opinion from a doc who will do the HIDA scan?  What else could it be besides my gallbladder?  I don't have any stones but continue to have a lot of pain.
An elevated level of lipase can indicate pancreatitis, and your pancreas is in this same area where you have the pain.  It also can be an indication of gallbladder infection, or that your kidneys aren't functioning at a 100%.  You don't always have stone with gallbladder problems. I think the cyst on your liver needs to be addressed as well.  Get a second opinion, always remember that med students who graduate at the bottom of their class are still called "doctor."  Find another Gastro doc and have your records transferred.  Good luck and take care.
Will do, thanks for the reply!
I finally had a HIDA scan 3 days ago, and it showed my gallbladder had an ejection fraction of 25%  This is the only abnormal test; the pain is getting worse, so should I ask for a referral to a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed?
Did you ever get your situation resolved? My experience has been very similar. Thanks!