RUQ pain
Hi, My name is Teresa and i have been having problems with pain and pressure in my right side. the pain never goes away it just gets worse if i sit or lay in certain positions. i went to the hospital a year ago and i was told by one doctor i had pancreatitis but a different doctor told me it wasn't. last week i go to the hospital again with pain and they did an altrasound. the doctor in the hospital said they found a mass on my pancreas. when i was sent to the specialist he said it wasn't a mass that it was enlarged bile ducts. he said they were twice the size they should be. but i dont have insurance and he wanted to treat me for gerd. i dont think that is what it is. but i told him i am sick of the pain. i have been suffering for two years with this so he set up a esophageal ultrasound. what do you think can be ging on?
With the presence of dilated ducts in the biliary system, you may want to ask to have your gallbladder checked out. Both pancreatic and gallbladder issues can 'go together' in many instances. With dilated ducts, it could be the bile duct is spasming,or you could have gallbladder stones that have left the gallbladder and are irritating the bile duct causing it to spasm. When that happens, the bile and pancreatic juices are 'trapped' and the duct dilate in response to the 'back pressure.' The back up places stress on the liver and can also result in pancreatic issues, such as pancreatitis.
I have had my gallblader checked with ultosound the doc. said it was fine. and i did have pancreatitis last year and spent three days in the hospital. But the pain has only gotten worse. I hope they find out on the 30th so i can get some relief.
I know this is an old post, but wanted to see if u made any progress or got any definative answers. I have the same symptoms (for 2 years) and can't seem to get any real diagnosis...
Can you specifically state your symptoms. There are several plausible explanations. Have you had pancreatitis? Are your bile ducts dilated? What tests have been done? Any related history?
No pancreantitis that I'm am aware of. I'm in NJ. Had bloodwork, ultra sound, cat scan, and gall bladder out. Still no relief.
Oh symptoms, pain under right ribs wraps aroung to middle of my back. Constant discomford, not severe pain but uncomfortable. But food does not make better or worse. * best way to explain feels like there is an open wound on my ruq that is always sore*
(responding to a direct note) Usually an MRCP would be done first. With no ductal dilation and normal labs sphincter of Oddi dysfunction would not be very likey - roughly 10-15% chance. The ERCP would not be looking for sphincter of Oddi dysfunction unless it was accompanied by sphincter of Oddi manometry. This is usually not indicated in type III SOD unless there has been an abnormal quantitative choledochoscintigraphy study.