Gastroenterology Community
Random hiccups?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Random hiccups?

I am 16 years old and I keep getting what seem to be hiccups. They are very loud and sometimes hurt my chest. I also never know when they are going to happen so I cannot even try and stop them. this has ben happening for about 2-3 years now . I haven't been to the doctors but I am curious to find out what it is and if anyone else has the same problem.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi, hiccups, or hiccoughs, are involuntary sounds made by spasms of the diaphragm. They are usually harmless and resolve by themselves after a few minutes. The cause of hiccups is often unknown and there may be no apparent trigger. Various triggers, particularly those that cause pressure on the diaphragm, are known to prompt an attack of hiccups. Certain lung or liver disorders can promote hiccups. Sometimes a cause is never identified when it is referred to as psychogenic. This is a probability as you have had them for prolonged duration. Regards.