Gastroenterology Community
Raw Veggies and severe stomach pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Raw Veggies and severe stomach pain

I am a moderately heatlhy 32 year old female.
Within the last year I have noticed everytime I eat raw veggies of any type I end up with severe stomach pains.  They last aprox. 3 hours and hit within 30 minutes of eating.  I have ate salads and raw vegetables all my life and never had a problem.  I made appt with my DR. and he seemed stumped by my problem.  If anyone at all knows anything about this or has expereience it could you please post.  

Thanks.
Ali
I can't say that I have experienced what you are, but raw veggies are one of the hardest things for our stomachs to digest and break down.  A relative-doctor of mine told me that once you turn 30, your digestive system starts changing, and the amount of bile you release a lot of the time, starts to change and reek havoc with digestion.

Sorry, I have no good answers for you, but that's all I know.  I wish you a lot of luck - I love raw veggies as well, and I hope you can find some relief very soon.
Beyond 30,marching into 40s and 50s and 60s,our stomach produces less stomach acid to digest food,so raw veggie,pasta etc which are harder to digest and requires more acid,you start to feel uncomfortable as the stomach struggles to digest them,and there is another sphlincter like the LES connecting the stomach to the small intestine which will not open until food is well digested.
Test this-drink some cranberry juice after you eat and see if it makes any difference,if it does,you may not have enough stomach acid and should avoid food which is hard to digest.
I'm having the same problem. It used to just happen with apples, now it's any kind of raw vegetable. I'm in pain right now from eating a salad so I googled my symptoms and found your post. If I find any information I'll be sure to post it! I read the post below yours about bile production after 30, I'm in my early 20's so this must be hitting me early...
I am experiencing the exact same thing - and I just turned 30... I am in a lot of pain in my upper-middle abdomen, and have consistently been eating more fruit and veggies, specifically raw veggies. This has only been happening for a few days; I may contact my doctor this weekend to find out more info.  If I do find out anything, I will come back and post!
My uncle, who has IBS, has that problem with a lot of raw veggies.  He says when he eats those veggies, it flares up his IBS.  Has your doctor ever checked you out for IBS?
Over the years I have found that I suffer more and more with stomach pains and these have got worse as the years have passed by, I found that eating certain foods made me feel really ill if even now if I eat more than a couple of biscuits (usually Digestive biscuits with a cup of tea.) within one hour I feel very nauseous, weak and my stomach feels raw and inflamed, this can be quite painful and I just want to sit and do nothing until it's over, visits to the Doctors didn't seem to help. A couple of years ago when I had felt really bad for several weeks I decided in desperation and feeling it was a food thing to try a detox,  I found a 30 day one that I thought suited me, to start with (and the book did warn me) I had headache for a couple of days but that then passed,  within a week the stomach pain had gone, at the end of 2 weeks i could feel my energy starting to return, I was eating almost non stop fruit, salads, nuts,  home made stir fry meals, fish, rice, vegetables, 2 litres of a day water and even better I was losing weight, ok life did seem to rotate around eating and reading labels in supermarkets but before the end of the course I felt like never before as if I had been subdued/poisoned for most of my life by the very food I had been eating, my wife was amazed no longer was I coming home from work and slumping onto the sofa totally drained after a days work (and my job isn't a strenuous one.) I was now looking around for things to do around the house all those jobs that had been waiting for so long for me to do were getting done. after the detox I started to introduce the foods I had given up on for those 30 days, after a week I felt myself slipping back to how I was and the raw stomach pain, nausea and tiredness returned, I have now modified my diet in order to avoid the foods that where poisoning my system, and although not perfect as with the detox I am doing better. I now do a detox twice a year, it's hard going to start with for the first time especially when everyone around you is eating all your favourite foods, but once you get into it it gets easier as your energy rises. my advice is to stick with it get past the first week and you will be amazed.
I too have a raw stomach from eating raw veggies. I also have trouble digesting nuts now. I get a terrible feeling of dread after eating nuts. My stomach struggles and keeps me up at night with a reflexive action.

I have been told that the stomach weakens from emotional turmoil. But, I think that diet can have a lot to do with the stomach weakening anyway.

Chinese Medicnine recommends warm foods always. It takes heat to digest food in the stomach. It struggles more when cold liquids and foods are ingested.
Well I thought I was unique, obviously not. I love my raw veggie's especially when I grow them myself. But my stomach cramps up so much about half an hour after the fact. I too am in my thirties. This getting older stuff is for the birds. Good luck to all of us who are afflicted with this problem.Homegirl431.
I have had this same problem for the last eight years and was starting to get so bad that no matter what I ate, I was in pain. Anything raw would send me into immediate pain, bloating, and cramps. I had an upper GI , barium test, couldn't get any answers from the docs, and basically had to cut all raw food out of my diet. Tomatoes, lettuce, and banans were the worst, but eventually it got so bad that I was living on pepto bismol. The pepto does help since it coats the stomach, but obviously shouldn't be an every day fix. I got desperate because I had to start taking sick days for it, as the pain could last up to eight hours. A friend suggested acupuncture, within 4to5 visits I was able to eat salads, fruit, everything!!!! I went weekly for a couple months, and now I just go once a month. I can eat whatever I want now, and am so thankful that my insurance covers it. Costs approx 65 $ a visit, so even if I didn't have ins, it would still be worth it. I think my intestinal tract was unbalanced, chi wasn't flowing or something to that order. So, try it, can't hurt, no side effects, good for you anyways, ggod luck
I have had IBS for the last 35 years. I am so sad when I hear people describe their distress with the same symptoms I have had (raw foods, bananas, nuts, carrageenan, soy ). Medical doctors don't diagnose IBS as a first choice, because there is little they can do about it. I do have some suggestions that might help. First, avoid the foods that bother you. I know wisdom is to eat lots of fiber, but which "fiber' might mean a good day or a bad day. Second, heat, a hot pad or hot bath will ease the spasms. Imodium (immodium) can help in an emergency, but it can have a rebound effect, so use it only as a last resort.
I found all my IBS symptoms went away while I was pregnant. Now I am not suggesting to get pregnant to feel better, it is a reminder that the hormones that control digestion are very closely and tightly related to sex hormones. Avoid fats as they increase hormone production. A glass of  chocolate milk or cheese sandwich might seem soothing, but they carry a price in the long run. Watch those white and yellow food craving days.
Third, I have heard that acupressure or acupuncture can be helpful, but a partner trained in tummy massage can be great (and free).  Good luck!
I'm commenting more out of moral support than anything.  I am a pretty healthy 44 year old female.   Stress has often manifested itself in stomach issues for me since I was a young child, but a few months ago I had a slightly stressful event at work and that night started with diarrhea. I even had a couple of accidents in bed-YIKES!  They did a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and lots of tests for bacterias and parasites--no findings.  It lasted 2 months!!!  The rampant diarrhea just went away on it's own.  

Now I am left with a horrible, but predictable situation.  Raw veggies and Nuts (a staple in my nearly-vegetarian diet), Eggs, Bananas...all leave me with this feeling of being hit in the stomach (center, just below the ribs) with a baseball bat.  And if I eat anything greasy, I get the diarrhea also.  The only thing that relieves the stomach pain is drinking ginger ale and making myself burp.  Chewing gum helps too.

I feel like my diet has gone to crap--no pun intended.

I am headed back to the gastro-enterologist, but I fear a diagnosis of IBS, which I feel like they are saying "yes, we recognize that you have these symptoms, but we don't know what is causing it or how to treat it."  I'm also going to go to my naturopath to see if there are any natural remedies that will allow me to go back to eating raw veggies.

If anyone has gotten some good sound advice from a doctor, please post it.
Since I can remember I have always gotten bad bad gas and gas pains after eating raw veggies.  Especially brocolli and cauliflower!!  I love them raw and dipped in ranch, but I cannot have them.  There is nothing wrong with me, they just don't agree with me.  I know many people who are the same way.  
Good Luck to you!
Hi im 17 and this has been happening to me aswell mostly with raw veg and i stop eating banana when i was about 14 cause the gave me unbelievable chest pains. Iv been allergic to raw eggs all my life and dont know if this is something to do with it? If any one knows any thing please inform me. I still stay at home with my parents should i get them to arrange me a doctors apointment to get it checked?

Robert
Really this response is to all of you.  I can't believe how many of you there are, and I feel a lot less alone right now.

Almost a year ago, I started having digestive problems.  It started with a LOT of stomach activity and pain, mostly when I ate things like onions.  Over time it got worse, and my symptoms began to include nausea, a lot of gassiness, diarrhea, etc.  And of course there were fewer and fewer things I could eat at all.  About 2-3 months ago was the worst flare up.  Literally anything I ate caused a lot of distress and illness.  My GI doc put me on a clear liquids diet at that time, and it did help give my stomach and co. a chance to recover a little.  I'm still slowly adding back in foods now as I'm able, but I'm not sure when or if I'll ever be able to eat normally again.  I've had ultrasounds, a HIDA scan, MRI, upper GI x-rays with barium, an endoscopy, labs on everything they could get a sample of... and no diagnosis.  GI doc and GP have guessed that I may have eaten something that caused the initial illness last summer.  (Possibly Subway, since I was eating a lot of that at the time, and with any fast food place that does "fresh", the food is only as good as the management and employees.)  And they think the last bad flare up was an infection of some sort because my immune system was already weakened.  But it's really all guesswork, and the only other option left at this point is an IBS diagnosis.

So things I've learned in all this:

~BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.  I know a lot of you can't eat bananas, but they are generally regarded as being a tummy friendly food.  I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine that the bananas are a problem because of some sort of raw food issue?  Everything on this list is supposed to be pretty bland and easy to digest, and should help promote healthy bowel function.  If you're prone to constipation, you might back up on this diet.

~Clear liquids diet: jello, low fat/fat free chicken broth, some fruit juices.  Watch the fruit juices, because even some clear juices are acidic.  Apple juice should pretty much always be safe.  I was very tired and had some headaches for a few days when I started my clear liquid diet, but it felt a lot better than the symptoms I'd been having while trying to eat.  If you're forced to do this, your calorie intake and nuitrition will be miserable, so it's really only a last resort.  I'm a 35 year old woman, and by the time I finished my stint on the clear liquids diet I weighed 100 pounds.  Not good.  Granted, I'd had some weight loss prior to that episode, but you get the point.  I lost an extra 10-12 pounds in something like 10 days, weight I couldn't really afford to lose at all.

~If you can handle limited, low fat dairy, invest a crate of Carnation Instant Breakfast.  I had to give this up a few months ago when I just couldn't do any dairy at all any more, but for a long time I was able to use this in rice or soy milk.  It comes in a few flavors, it's pretty fantastic nutritionally, and I found that even when I was completely turned off of eating, I was able to drink a cup of this still.  It was much easier on my stomach than products like Ensure.

~Drink a lot of water.  It helps immensely with constipation (stool softening) and if you're having diarrhea, you're at risk for dehydration, I guess.

~Probiotics are my friend.  My GI doc started me on probiotics after a round of Cipro to try to wipe out any possible infection 2-3 months back when my symptoms got so bad I couldn't eat at all.  I've seen a huge improvement in my bowel function since then, and they really don't have any negative side effects as far as I know.

~Omeprazole is also my friend.  I'm not sure how much it helps with my current set of symptoms, but while I was still having a lot of stomach pain and problems with acidity, my GI and GP wanted me on omeprazole and I think it helped.  I'm still taking it now because they don't think it can hurt and don't want to change anything that might be helping.

~Don't be afraid to use Immodium if you're visiting the bathroom more than twice in a limited period of time for diarrhea.  It can cause constipation, so use it judiciously.  

~Popcorn may be the best constipation remedy ever.  I've had problems with constipation off and on for years now, and since I'm not having a lot of diarrhea any more, that's back now.  Eating a few cups of popcorn at night if I haven't had a decent bowel movement in a couple days pretty well guarantees a movement in the morning.  Just be careful, because if you're prone to diarrhea you can overdo it with the popcorn pretty easily.

~Senna tea is probably the second best constipation remedy ever.  It may provoke some cramping and discomfort, but if you really just can't get a BM, senna tea has always worked for me.  You'll be squeaky clean and empty inside by the time the tea is done working.  It takes about 5-8 hours to work, so I usually take it just before bed.  If you're having any trouble with diarrhea, you probably won't want to try this.  I've tried senna tablets and found them to be ineffective.  Popcorn seems to be better than the tablets.

~Dairy and foods with milk proteins or other milk products should be regarded with suspicion if you're having a lot of trouble.  Dairy is very hard to digest.  And a lot of things that you might not guess have some sort of milk product in them, so read labels if you're having trouble digesting and you don't know why.  

~Onions, spicy (hot) foods, and animal fats are all dangerous.  I seem to be able to eat (usually) things cooked in or fried in vegetable oil, but never animal fats.  Can't even eat a rotisserie chicken that was cooked with the skin on.  And onions and spicy things like chili pepper are always dangerous for the obvious reason.

~High fiber foods should be used with caution.  Oatmeal, leafy greens, etc-- all things I love, but they cause the diarrhea to return.  My GI doc believes cooking most things makes them easier to digest, but it hasn't been enough to let me have spinach again.  

~Control what you eat very carefully.  Isolate things that you know to be safe to eat all the time, and use those things as the foundation of your diet.  For me right now, that's potatoes, rice, carrots, cucumbers, asparagus, zucchini, and very lean chicken and turkey.  Once you know certain things are safe to eat, you can start testing other foods in a very careful way.  I usually only test one new/suspicious food per day.  If I get a bad reaction, I don't eat anything I'm at all unsure of for at least one day and maybe more-- not till I seem to be relatively symptom free again.

Sorry so long, but I hope some of this will help someone.  It's been so incredibly frustrating and depressing to deal with this for so long without ever really being able to make much progress, without knowing what it is, and even more so not knowing anyone who had a similar problem to compare notes with.  
I'm a 40 y/o male, and have had problems with bananas, apples, nuts, and most recently some (but not all) raw veggies.  The funny thing is, I've noticed over the years that when the food is cooked, I dont have nearly the same issues.  All the veggies I have issues with, once heated, dont cause any issues.  Also, apple sauce becomes my friend.  This is the best explanation I've found for it so far - it talks about food allergies - I dont think what I'm experiencing is a food allergy, but it does a good job of explaining how foods break down after it has been cooked, and the body's response to what we're putting in it:

The humble carrot, familiar fare for Bugs Bunny and armies of school children, can be a dangerous, even lethal, snack for a small number of people. Heating the carrot, however, can render them harmless to the allergic, according to a recent study.

But how could a little heat turn a vegetable from deadly to delectable? And how can a wholesome carrot be dangerous in the first place?

The carrots we buy in grocery stores are certainly not poisonous. The carrot, native to Afghanistan, is a root that has been grown and eaten for thousands of years. The typical orange variety was developed in 17th century Holland. Carrots are a good source of carotene, the compound that our bodies convert into Vitamin A.

This innocuous, nutritious vegetable is nonetheless dangerous to those people whose bodies react to it as a foreign invader. These people have immune systems that respond to carrots in ways that are usually reserved for illness-causing germs. No one really knows why this happens, but food allergies are becoming more common and seem to be on the rise in the industrialized world.

The cause of this proliferation may be excessive cleanliness. Today’s western children are exposed to fewer microbes not only because of the lack of dirt and germs in the foods they eat, but because they are more socially isolated than children in developing nations. Research has shown that children who attend daycare have fewer allergies than children who remain at home. Furthermore, both children and adults use antibiotics to combat microbes in their environments. In sterile environments, immune systems lack enemies, and may attack food proteins as if they were germs.

Our bodies are protected from germs by the antibodies that constantly roam the blood system looking for foreign invaders. For allergic people, antibodies target food proteins moonlighting as allergens. When antibodies detect an allergen, a reaction occurs. The body’s response to an allergen can cause a variety of symptoms from facial swelling to serious anaphylactic shock. In carrots, several proteins can cause a reaction.

Everyone knows that cooking carrots renders them mushy. A little heat breaks down the carrot’s cell walls, and turns this crunchy vegetable into perfect baby food. Heat, in fact, makes many vegetables more palatable. In their natural state, plants have ways to avoid being eaten. These defense mechanisms are called secondary compounds and can be poisonous to the eater. Most common crop plants have long since lost these harmful effects, and cooking some toxic wild plants can break down their toxins, making them edible.

When carrots are cooked, the potentially allergenic proteins within them unravel, rendering them safe from targeting by the immune system. According to a recent study in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, these denatured carrot proteins can no longer bind to the posse of antibody scouts, and when antibodies cannot recognize allergens, a strong immune response does not occur. The same study found that cooked carrot protein can still activate a milder immune response that causes a less dangerous reaction. Some participants who ate cooked carrots did not swell up and suffer breathing problems, but did get rashes from the second type of immune response. Because of this, researchers recommended that people allergic to carrots avoid carrots in all forms, even though heating reduces risk.

Don’t run to the crisper and dump those carrots just yet, though. Not many people have bonafide food allergies. The FDA estimates that only about 1.5 percent of adults and six percent of children have some kind of food allergy. Children outgrow most allergies, and allergic adults are typically only allergic to a few foods. Allergies to carrots are most common in Europe, where up to 25 percent of people with a food allergy need to avoid this orange root. Some experts say that food allergies develop in adults because of previous sensitivity to pollen; the patient may become allergic to a variety of plants that contain proteins similar to those found in the pollen. For example, celery, which is related to carrots, mugwort, certain spices and birch pollen all contain the same allergenic carrot proteins that some people just can’t stomach.
I discovered I had candida in January 2010.  I had been sick with what doctors diagnosed as Acid Reflux.  The prescriptions the doctors gave me did not work and they more or less gave up on me.  That left me to figure out what I had.  

I went through the candida diet and am feeling so much better but candida can cause what they call leaky gut. That is where food particles get into your blood stream.   Leaky Gut causes a lot of food allergies.  That is where I am at right now.  I can eat something and it not bother me.  The next thing I know..... the food I was eating makes me have acid.

Has anyone healed their leaky gut and how did you do it?     I am going through another scope, just to make sure the candida is out of my digestive tract.  Any help would be appreciated.
Just wanted to add my 2cents. This thread has had some very useful information for me.

About 6 months ago, I started college, classes 3 days a week, and I pack a sack lunch to take with me. About a year ago, I started eating healthier and exercising. So I take veggies with me in my lunch. I'm not a huge salad person, and about the only veggie I like to any degree raw is baby carrots. So, three days a week on weeks I have school, I've been eating raw baby carrots, for the last 6 months. I was eating baby carrots for lunch before that as well, but not as often or regularly. About a month and a half ago, while eating carrots with lunch, I got really nauseous and had terrible stomach pain. I haven't gotten nauseous for any reason in Years. This was after only eating three or four carrots. Also, while eating them, I tasted mostly the almost-metallic part of the taste of carrots (which is the part of the taste I don't like). I thought perhaps there was something in the carrots that I was getting too much of by eating the carrots so regularly. It's gotten to the point where almost every time I eat raw carrots, I get stomach pain and/or nausea and/or acid. The metallic taste is not always strong, but when it is I stop eating the carrots immediately. I know its a prelude of bad things. I haven't noticed any of this with other raw veggies, however I don't eat very many other veggies raw, and definitely not very regularly. Sometimes raw broccoli, but very little else.

It makes sense that raw veggies are just harder to digest, and for some of us our stomachs have a harder time than others digesting these already hard-to-digest foods. It also makes sense what someone else said about in Chinese Medicine, how cold foods are harder to digest... With the changing seasons, perhaps the colder weather has something to do with it (in my case), on top of eating cold (or at least not warm), raw carrots? Most likely, that's just wishful thinking.

I've also suffered from chronic constipation (self-diagnosed, not hard to diagnose when you have a BM once a week or so) for most of my life, and my dad has had digestive issues since his late 20s or 30s (not sure when it started). He has Crohn's disease. And my mom has her share of things her body doesn't like, mostly affecting her digestion (broccoli, peppers, and wheat gluten are a few). So previous problems and genetics are probably not helping.

I'm going to get away from the raw carrots, and try some other raw veggies to see how they affect me. Raw veggies, especially hard veggies like carrots, are more convenient to take with me to school. Plus I don't care for raw leafy greens in salad form. On a sandwich is fine. It's a texture thing. It'll be a challenge to find something I like that I can quickly/easily pack for lunches, but I might find that it's easier to just stick with cooked veggies.

As a side note, I'm also in my early 20s.
I'm also in my early 30's and had the same problems twice.  Both painful incidents occurred with eating rough vegetables.  Once was with some broccoli that had very tough fibrous skin that I neglected to peel or cook thoroughly.  The second time was with a piece of take-out oven roasted corn cob that had some semi-cooked kernels, which I ingested.

Both times were so painful that I was on the floor with cramps and had to both vomit and also go the toilet.  Both incidents occurred within 15 minutes of ingesting the culprit food.  

Good luck to all on this board and if someone has something else to add please don't hesitate!  
I have decided that raw carrots are not for me anymore.

I put myself on yet another diet a couple of weeks ago, not sticking to it well, but trying hard.

I thought I'll eat more fruit and vegM carrots are easy to carry around and eat. never had a problem with them before,

But last week I took with me an orange, banana, pear and about 3-4 raw carrots. I thought at one stage that the carrots tasted off, so only ate about 2.1/2 and through the rest. I was out delivering flyers to promote my business.

As soon as I got home about 2 hours later, my stomach seemed hard like I'd done a 100 sit-ups, my belly then seemed bloated and hurting. I put it down straight away to the off carrots, as I'm never ill.

It got worse throght the evening and going to bed, I thought it best to try and be sick. I didn't feel much of an urge, just a little, so fingers down the throat.
I really couldn't sleep with the pain. So searched the house and car for pain killers at about 1am. the pain went, but at about 3am felt I needed to pop off to the little boys room,.WORSE TIME EVER. I was sweating so much yet it was cold and almost lossing Consciousness. But 15 mins and I was perfectly fine.

Now today. I've come home and grabed a couple of healthy carrots a slowly munched on them with a couple bits of celary too. Oh a couple of pancakes (It is pancake day). and again Stomach bloated and in pain. I wonder what sleep I'll have tonight. BUT I'M NOT HAVIN ANOTHER CARROT AGAIN.

I am forty this year and over the years my wieght has been like a Yo-yo. I concider to be very healthy with a good immune system, just a little over wieght. A few years back at nearly 15 stone, I had an hiatus hernia. I went on a diet and got right down to 10 stone 10. I felt great, but slowly it crept back on till I got to 13, 8 again. Again another diet from last April till October where I could not get below 11 stones. At Christmas and after it's now got back upto 13, 1 and just last night for over 5 years I was awoken at 2.30 with bad heart burn due to the hernia. defintitely on me diet again today.
I have the same problem for years as Ali has. I too can not eat eggs uncooked or certain lettuce or bananas and certain shrimp. I also get severe pain after an hour or so of eating them. The pain seems to last for 3 hours and then dies down but my stomach still is uncomfortable for hours after that. I have been to many different doctors through the years that don't know the true answer. I just gave up many years ago. I hope one day I will be able to eat shrimp...
i have had all the same issues that i see others having-intense stomach pains, cramps, gas, diareha(sp?). it took me 2 years, tons of tests that found only an inflammed stomach, and many dr's who couldn't figure it out what was wrong. I was trying to eat healthy so i started eating yogurt daily and lots of beans, i would also eat peanuts everyday. once i stopped the peanuts the diarhea (diarrhea) stopped. it turns out i was lactose-intolerant and by eating the yogurt and beans constantly i inflamed my stomach so much that anything i ate gave me great pain. i changed my diet completely and i feel amazing. i did eliminate all animal protein after i read the research on what it does to your body.once you figure this out, it will take time to get the inflammation down and feeling better. i eliminated all processed foods-almost anything in a box, bag or can. anything that i don't know what the ingredients are. and because we have genetically modified corn and soy, you need to avoid anything with the words corn and soy in the ingredients(genetically modified means pesticides are added to the dna of the plant, so that the plant grows with the pesticide in it). you will need to experiment with grains, pastas to see what your body can tolerate. stay away from white flour and white rice, this has no nutrients in it. do not eat anything enriched, because it means they had to strip the nutrients out of the product and add it back in. do not buy fruit juices, they are pasteurized, which means they are heated to high levels and that means it loses its nutrients(same thing with milk). eat the whole fruit instead. Basically because processed foods are made with chemicals, transfats, etc- this is not real food and your body has trouble digesting this. so you will end up with stomach issues or some sort of disease or health issues down the road. it is not that there is something wrong with you, it is with our food supply. you need to buy organic produce and food. it may cost you more at the supermarket, but in the long run, you will save because you will not need to spend the money in medicine. also certain veggies are known to produce gas- for example- broccoli, so you may have to steam this or avoid it. watch how you feel after eating fruit, maybe you have to have smaller portions to avoid the gas pains. pay attention to how you feel after you eat something and how you feel after you go to the bathroom. this will tell you if you need to avoid that food. eat a few foods a day till you can figure out what is hurting your stomach and till your stomach calms down. i still have problems with nuts and beans, but i feel so much better and have so much energy since i changed my diet.
To everyone that has posted recently: You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2006.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
I'm 36 years old and I've have had the same issue for the last 8 years. Mine started with eggs and then raw broccoli was added which also turned into cooked broccoli, now pears and other random food items have been added. Sometimes even coffee when I drink it below a certain temp. I call it hollow back. It starts about 30 minutes to an hour after eating and usually lasts for 3 painful hours where I feel like I want to vomit or go to the bathroom but I can't do either and my back feels hollow like it wants to be cracked but that would make me throw up! The only thing that helps me is heating pads on my stomach and or back, hot baths, and lying on my side. I have been to doctors and have pretty much given up and just stay away from those foods but occasionally it sneaks up on me again and I have to figure out what caused it and eliminate yet another favorite food. I will probably try again to get some more tests but sometimes I feel crazy when explaining these symptoms because they are so consistent in my life but the doctors just look at me stumped and puzzled. I wish you all the best and will keep you updated if I find out anything worth sharing. I feel a little less crazy knowing I'm not alone but sorry for everyone else who shares this discomfort. Best wishes:)
My problems started when i was about 20 yrs old. My dad has had ulcerative colitis in his 20s&30s, so when I started having pains it worried me. It first started with iceberg lettuce...I can eat raw spinach mind you, but no other kinds of lettuce. Then it was carrots, then now bananas and raw tomatoes bother me. If the tomatoes are in salsa or stewed or diced in a can they do not bother me. As long as I avoid these foods I am fine...it's just strange that I used to be able to eat them all my life and then they just now started giving me problems....let's hope I don't have any more foods to add to the list as the years go by!
-Annelysse, student nurse
I've had this since I was about 20. Every yr there is something else I can't eat. My list is iceburg lettiuce Bananas, cucumber, tomartoes, eggs , nuts, oranges, brocolli. It's a nightmare trying to eat healthily when all the food upsets me!
I am experiencing the same symptoms now, and I am glad to see all of the advise that has been given.  I am discussing my issues with my doctor, and hopefully my pain will stop.  I love eating healthy, raw fruits and vege's.  I feel like I'm loosing a part of myself not being able to do so:(
oh gosh, yes...me too. i thought fruit, veggies and nuts and beans were supposed to be GREAT for the body. I LOVE those foods...but (hahahaha!) when i eat them, goodness gracious me, i am in sooo much pain and my belly bloats up like i am 10 months preggers.

i am nor was ever a fast food person. i am not vegetarian, but i love to eat mostly veggies. when the pain hits me, i try taking a long walk, i drink herbal tea or water or plain yogurt or even apple cider vinegar diluted in 500 ml of water (make it like tea), i massage my tummy with pepper mint oil...nada! i just suffer the pain.

I was at the internist and the gastroenterologist..nada. I did accupuncture a few times and it helped a bit, but when i stop, the pains return. i try yoga at home sometimes and aerobics and they all help, but only for a whort while, until i eat the things I love once more! helllllp.
i've been suffering pain in the lower right side of my belly within minutes after eating - initially i thought it was because i ate too much - but even small amounts cause a problem esp when i am menstruating - how weird??
so i've decided to go on a liquid fast to see if that will help heal whatever the problem is - mind you if i have stones they won't disappear after a liquid diet i don't think - in which case if nothing gets better then i'll be off to the doctors - will update you with what i find out - as this is obviously a very common issue - i would like a natural cure though if possible
I've recently started an all-fruit diet.  The fruit is raw, and I blend whatever I like into a smoothie with water.  I often add a packet of Equal for sweetness.  Trouble is, I have started getting pretty terrible stomach aches in the evenings.  It's not upper or mid stomach, it's not an acid thing, it's really lower-belly, and feels like cramping.  Passing gas seems to help, but getting the gas to move is difficult.  Last night, I had to fight in order to not vomit!  Then we went and ate Mexican food (I ate whatever I wanted--cheese, onions, beef, chicken--kind of a nachos supreme thing) and felt fine.  I prefer to just eat the fruit because I like it, and it's really helping me lose weight.  I don't know if I can take it, though, if I don't find out how to stop the pain!  
Same same!  It's getting really distressful, as a 35yr old vegetarian of now 20yrs, the bloating, cramps, constipation (IBS-C) and pain in lower abdomen have gotten worse the healthier my diet has become over age 30. The last 5yrs have seen my belly grow to the current stage of a 6month pregnant woman when I eat any beans and also recently, raw veggies without any carbs.  I started a low/no carb diet last month and lived on mostly salad, nuts, egg and beans and noticed just how bad this issue gets with no complex carbs in your diet. I used to eat more cooked vegies with brown rice and can't recall getting this bloated. I thought my bloating/constipatiion was mainly due to a wheat/yeast intolerance as when I'd eat those I'd bloat, but the raw foods diet and no carbs made the issue even worse!  Going to try acupuncture and cooked foods as many have suggested, Chinese wisdom has worked wonders for years. Its a problem I'd like to see fixed as love salad and fresh organic vegies, this issue is a real pain in the butt as a vegetarian!
Will post any successful findings, thanks everyone for their advice and comments is good to hear others issues from 'healthy eaters'!
PS. From my research a lot of the issues with the foods everyone has mentioned are IBS related. I'm self diagnosing and still in testing phase with my gastroenteroligist, though I'm almost certain this is my issue. It's all about the bile not digesting and insoluble and soluble fibre balance etc. Anyone who has IBS theories, has done research and knows of helpful IBS website please post? I've found this one OK for info http://www.****.com, but not perfect. Still holes in the theory, I think mainly people have to find the right balance for their bodies. I'm going to try some sort of IBS and wheat free diet, but increase carbs in ways that dont irritate such as eating more insoluble fibres...my main issue is as a vegetarian is finding the protein substitute without overdoing the beans (which unfortunately are my fave meal)...you get sick of tofu after a while and need to mix things up :(
Ugggh....im sick of it! I just had a salad 20 mins ago and have already evacuated 2xs...my husband thinks im nuts because it comes out so quick...but certain foods I eat come right out!
Some vegetables simply should not be eaten raw.  Do not eat raw cruciferous vegetables, including broccoli.  When you see these at the salad bar, leave them in the salad bar when they are raw.  Eat the other nutritious vegetables at the salad bar, but do not eat raw cruciferous vegetables.  If you eat kale or collard greens, these, too, are cruciferous, so don't eat them raw.  You cannot get the proper nutrition out of these vegetables unless they are at least steamed or added to a stir fry.  They are highly beneficial vegetables, but they need to be cooked.
I am here reading these complaints. I know they are uncomfortable for sure. I had them for years. Surgery and meds etc. I am a Health Coach and a colon therapist. I find the enzymes from biotics is the best. If you need any support feel free to contact me at ***@****
I have Had these same symtoms (symptoms) for 18 years it all started when I orderd a salad for dinner "about 3 hours later was it so much pain I when to the E.R....6 doctors later still no answers, green salads, bannanas, mushrooms send me into screaming pain, " I thought about IBS,, But I also found it could be "CANDIDA" I suggest some of you look it up....".It may help" Not sure if thats what I have but Im going to give it a try!
Im only 17 and I eat salads all the time, my stomach is experiencing the same thing. What could it be? Just digesting problems? I read above that raw vegetables are one of the hardest things for our stomachs to digest.
I have been dealing with this problem for over 8yrs now. Ive seen one of the best gi docs in the us and NO answers. Finally i decided to start taking over the counter antacids 3-4 times a day and its WORKING! OMG, i cant even beleive it. Im so excited because i ate 2 bananas today. I havent had a banana in over 5 YEARS!!!  Hyperacidity is what i think my problem is. I recomend taking the antacids for several weeks before trying to eat any raw veggies or thing u know trigger the pains. I cant beleive how long ive been living like this for it to just be a stomach acid issue. Oh, also take some probiotics. I dont really know the risks of taking so many antacids but to ME this is so amazingly worth it. fINALLY an answer to my very long nightmare!
I have had my stomach pains for over 30 years - didn't realise there were so many people with the same problem!  The BEST and FASTEST working solution to get rid of the pain and soreness is ALOE VERA - it comes in liquid form (which you have to use within a month) or capsules, which are great 'cos you can keep them to hand for an emergency and they last forever.  Please try them, they work so fast and it is better than waiting for three hours for the pain and soreness to settle down.  You will never be without them!
I have the same problem.I usually do this make the pain go away.I lie on my right side of the body with my right hand stretched and my head resting on it.My left hand the placed in a stretched position behind my back.However you will find that you are not in a position to do just that.Say when you are not at home so I discovered that immediately drinking fresh milk reduces the pain almost instantly.So I walk with a pint in my back and when I go to sleep,I have one besides me just in case that pain comes.Another but very rare and funny method I use which is the best though I do not know if it has side effects is that I chew magnesium tablets and swallow with water.It works far faster than any of the other methods.Swallowing them with fresh milk is even faster.Try it and You will let me know.
Hi, just wanted to ask you: were you eating baby carrots?
I've heard that baby carrots are soaked in some sort of chemical ( chlorine?) to keep them fresh looking and orange...
You might wanna check it out as you have mentioned metal aftertaste ...
Just 2 cents
Yeah. The getting older stuff has nothing to do with it. I am 11 and get intense pains when I eat carrots or lettuce (haven't really tried much more veggies :P) and I just want to lay on my bed till it goes away.
My nutritionist told me to drink half a fresh squeezed lemon in a about a 1/2 cup of water 30 minutes before every meal.  It helped me with stomach acidy and some of my digestion issues.
Try a good probiotic.  Sauerkraut and other fermented foods make good probiotic (digestive aid).  Also, it's critical to eat resistant starches as this is what our good gut bacteria need to thrive. Grains, potatos, rice.  Cooked and cooled.  Our mouths are full of Amylase which means we were born starch seekers.  
I felt the same way. After eating fresh fruit and raw veggies all my life, all of a suddend they give me stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting. My GI's couldn't find out anything to help after all the tests including a camera endoscopy. My niece who is a neurologist, suggested that I might be missing some digestive enzymes and suggested I mention this to my primary. She agreed, gave me a prescription for Creon to take 15-20 minutes before eating and NOW, I'm back to eating fresh fruit and raw veggies after stopping for 7 years!
I thought I was just a weirdo!  When I was around 12 I started developing allergies to fruits, my throat would get itchy...bananas were the worst.  I had to stop all fruits except for apples and oranges.  When I turned 22 I had the bright idea that I had probably grown out of it all, so I ate a banana.  That was horrible.  I writhed around for hours in such severe abdominal pain and my lips swelled bad.  I can rub a banana on my mouth now and my lips will immediately swell really bad.  Fast forward years later, and I have now had to stop eating apples and oranges and all raw vegetables as well.  I have also had to cease eating eggs, due to the same severe abdominal pain.  I have been diagnosed with IBS, but doctors never know what to say to me when I ask about this.  One dr. was so adamant that I not call it "allergy" because of the abdominal pain, he said that does not constitute calling it allergy, but a sensitivity.  I wish he had been so interested in helping me rather that giving me a tongue lashing for how I described it.  It is soooooo hard to eat good and all I crave is carbs.  If it is not processed, I can't eat it.  From trying to research it on my own, all I have been able to dig up is that my body cannot break down certain enzymes.  Anyone else in my boat and have you found any breakthroughs?  
I am 40 and am also having a very difficult time eating raw vegetables. They bother me so much, I end up vomiting soon after consumption. I wish I had answers for you. Good luck.