Gastroenterology Community
Recent Upper GI

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Recent Upper GI

Hello, I recently had an EGD and do not understand some of the verbage my physician wrote in her dictation. She took three biopsies and I am awaiting my results. She said my stomach walls are thicker than average and I have an enlarged prostate. Here is what she wrote that I do not understand 1. diffuse nodular mucosa found in gastric fundus and gastric body. 2. patchy mildly erythematous mucosa. 3. diffuse mucosa found in duodenal bulb, it was 2/3 of the circumference of the duodenal bulb. Does this explain the thickeness of my stomach and that I have a lot of mucus in my stomach? Thanks for any help!
The term diffuse nodular mucosa (mucosa = lining of stomach or organs); the term nodular is typically applied to a surface or area that concerns immune function - lymphoid nodules or other nodular surfaces. It would seem to suggest that you may have an immune reaction going on in the stomach (gastric fundus = top of the stomach; gastric body = main section/body of stomach).

Patchy mildly erythematous mucosa - somewhere in the stomach it's got patches of redness.

Diffuse mucosa in duodenal bulb - this doesn't say a lot, I'm wondering if a word was left out? It sounds like the lining (mucosa) of the duodenum has areas that are not covered by mucosa, but that wouldn't make sense..........diffuse 'what' in 2/3rds of the duodenum.

It would be hard to say exactly what's going on in your stomach based on this report. You're going to need to wait for the results of the biopsies to give you a better idea. Walls of organs can be thickened due to a variety of different conditions. It's possible if you've got an immune reaction going on in the layers under the surface lining (mucosa), that could be causing the thickening.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers