Rectal Bleeding with a negative colonoscopy
My husband suffers from rectal bleeding both with and without bowel movements.  Other than the bleeding, he has normal, daily BM's with occasional diarrhea.  This happened about 6 months ago also and the symtoms abated.  Right now there is only some blood sometimes when he wipes.  A couple of weeks ago I took him to Urgent Care when he told me that he was wearing surgical pads because he was ruining his clothing as he was bleeding throughout the day.  The blood is bright red and sometimes there is at least a 1/4 c in the toilet when he only passes gas.  He had a clear colonoscopy and upper scope.  The only thing found was one small pocket (diverticulitits).  While we are relieved that there is no colon cancer, ulcers, or polyps, what are some other causes that we can investigate?  The doctor said to eat more fiber which we are having him use Benefiber now.  I am concerned that because the scopes can only go so far to the small intestines that the problem could lie somewhere in the intestines.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  If the blood is bright red, then it is almost surely not coming from his small intestine and anywhere else that the colonoscopy couldn't see because then the blood would be darker in color.  Has he had a rectal exam to look for things like hemorrhoids?
Was there any mention of internal hemorrhoids? They can bleed quite a bit at times.
Thank you for the welcome!  Yes, they did check around for any hemmorhoids.  We were sure surprised when there weren't any, or anything else.  Just doesn't make sense.  If and when it starts up again I'm going to make him go straight to ER, maybe they can find the source of the bleeding then.  
No, no mention, but I will ask at his follow up.  Sure am curious as to what it could've been.  They took some biopsies of the colon to see if there was something microscopic going on.  Will find out the results on Thursday.  :)
I don't think he would need to go to the ER, but it might be useful for him to see his doctor soon after the rectal bleeding starts again.
ER made me go in only to tell me to schedule with a GI. Big waste of money and time as they basically did nothing for me. So I suggest skipping ER as Patient915 suggesed. As for possible causes it could also be anal fissure causing the blood, but if you think it is something more get a second opinion. When my trouble first started in 2001 they did find something but it tested negative. Over the next decade I was always told my colonoscopy was clean, three during that time. Since last fall I've had four more and going in for my fifth and final Thursday. Last fall they found what fits the description of the thing found in 01, so it has probably been visible the entire time. I doubt your husband has what I have, as it is a girlie issue. But I have learned I know my body and I know when something isn't right. I had every sign of colon cancer, but everytime they ruled it out that GI doctor would step back and make me feel crazy. Good luck and I hope you guys find answers soon. Oh yeah ad as creepy or weird as this sounds I started taking pictures an that may have helped them understand what I was seeing. When I showed the doc the picture he replied, "that is quite a bit of blood". Mind you I had been telling him I was passing large amounts of blood only bm's. Its worth a try and it will give them a better idea of the shade of red.
Can I ask what your issue was, I seem to be in the same boat as you were. And I am a girl ;)
Yes please can you share your female issue.  I too have had rectal bleeding for over 2 years.  Just had my second colonoscopy yesterday and it was all clear including no signs of hemorroid issues, no tears, no fissures, no fistula, nothing.  They did however make an appointment with a hemorroid surgeon for me to consult with the possibility of it being that.
I have had 6 vaginal/abdominal ultrasounds, MRI, cat scan, and two colonoscopies.  I have abdominal pain, malaise, rectal discharge, and rectal bleeding.
I'm a female too and am in the same boat. I have had a colonoscopy that has come back clear with no signs of anything but I continue to bleed with no bm just gas. Can you please share what was causing your issue?
What is the "girlie" issue you mentioned?  I've started experiencing bleeding and my scope came back "normal".
After starting my periods at around age 13, I started experiencing pain in my left side that would start with my monthly cycle. The pain is so immense I collapse, pant for breath, become very cold and covered in sweat. I bleed very heavily, get diarrhoea and vomit. I was prescribed a steroid tablet that I would have to start taking the week before I was due on. Despite taking them for several years they didn't help at all. At age 19 the pain had become so bad I was sent  for an abdominal scan which showed fluid in my womb. Suspecting an eptopic pregnancy, i was rushed into hospital for a laparoscopy. When I came round I was told they found nothing but had removed the fluid from my womb. 1 week later I found out I was pregnant.
After the birth of my baby my symptoms relieved slightly, but returned with a vengeance about 4 years later after the birth of my second child. I am now 40 years old and have had a variety of scans and tests over the past 16 years, none of which has explained why I suffer the way I do. I have been told I have a couple of cysts, although repeatedly stating that I had started losing blood from behind,  sometimes large amounts in the form of blood coloured diahorea, but most often as bright blood when i wipe. They always focused on the gynea side of things until recently. Yesterday I had a colonoscopy and was told during the procedure that everything was all healthy. When the colonoscopy went up around the left side, it triggered the same pain and reaction that I have experienced since the age of 13. My blood pressure dropped to 86/55 I became very dizzy, panting for breath, cold and covered in sweat, so much so that they had to wipe me down. today I am still experiencing the pain in my side but not at its worse. I feel extremely confused as yet again I am no closer to finding the answer as to what is causing my symptoms.