Gastroenterology Community
Rectal Bleeding with abdominal pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Rectal Bleeding with abdominal pain

Hello I have had persistant lower right abdominal pain now for roughly 10 months. I have been admitted to hospital on 5-6 occassions with tests like colonoscopies, small bowel series and ultrasound being carried out which all came back normal. On one of the hospital visits my white blood cell count was 17 and my crp was 364 and the doctors told me they we certain I have Chrons disease which still has not been diagnosed. Recently I had a doctors appointment and I was told that I am bleeding internally because my blood count had significantly dropped and they wanted me to go to hospital to get checked. This was before the rectal bleeding began. Since the rectal bleeding began I have been feeling increasingly nausea, dizzy and weak which is affecting my life. Recently I have been passing moderate amounts of blood with every bowel movement which has been bright red in colour and dark red on occassions as well with abdominal pain. Do you have any thoughts on what the cause of the rectal bleeding maybe as well as what maybe causing the abdominal pain and professional advice on wether or not I should go to hospital or not? Thanks Mick
It sounds like the blood loss is causing all your symptoms, and this is very dangerous.  Pain in the abdomen accompanied by blood in the stool and toilet is of real concern.  The darker the blood, the higher up in the intestine is where it's coming from, the closer to the anus the brighter red it will be.  You can bleed from hemorrhoids (bright red) but with you constant pain and dark blood, somethings not right.  But I would think they would have found something with all the testing.  Have they ruled out appendicitis?  Does the pain on your right side move downward?  I wouldn't wait on this, if they say you're bleeding internally, you should be in the hospital.  They told you to go, take this seriously.

As mentioned above by mammo, rectal bleeding is serious and it is never normal.  It should be investigated until a firm cause is established and the relevant treatment organised.  If the causes are not easily identified by your present medical advisors then I suggest you visit a hospital with a specialist G.I. department (such as the Mayo Clinics - or similar).

You may like to type in rectal bleeding to google and click on to one of the many sites that describe this condition.  The Medicinenet site is particularly informative and you will then be better informed for your next visit (hopefully to a specialist G.I. doctor/clinic).

Mayve you should have a repeat colonoscopy??

regards
Morecambe