Gastroenterology Community
Rectal bleeding!!!!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Rectal bleeding!!!!!

Good morning everyone, I have a question and would really appreciate any answers.
It's been years that I've had colon problems, my intestines get really bloated and sometimes I get really constipated. I try to correct this with a high fiber diet. But then right after I have a 'bad' day of pizza....bam! right back to being uncomfortable. I am lactose intolerant (don't know if that has something to do with it) and can't tolerate milk. Don't think i have too much problem with cheese, sour cream and yogurt.
Any way, like one person posted here (couple of threads down), I have to use suppositories EVERYDAY in the morning and sometimes in the evenings! (like i said depending how good or bad i eat)....but sometimes my colon gets really irritated and I bleed for days. Right now I have been bleeding for 3 days in a row....yesterday was horrible!, (sorry tmi) but I had a constant drops coming out as soon as I would go to #1! didn't even have to push!
I had a colonoscopy done in February and had a polip removed, and also diagnosed with ulceric colitis. Took medicine but DID NOT DO ANYTHING for me. In fact I got really sick after the colonoscopy, so now i hate it! My new doc suggested doing another one, but I refuse! Please, anyone knows any over the counter medicine that might help? I will try not to use the suppositories anymore.....any other advise? Thank you in advance! =)
Hi,you might want to ask your dr about prescription laxative if your constipation is chronic (glycolax) or zelnorm.I also have similar problems.Dr suspects I have colitis but I also have constipation,I thought colitis was severe bloody diarrhea? I tend to alternate,not sure if zelnorm is suitable for colitis.
        Maybe suppositories are causing rectal bleeding,I found when I used those or enema's I would bleed for days after, even to go urinate! I'm up for another colonoscopy ,last one in April was a nightmare..I was awake whole time and felt everything..ecck it was a nightmare.
eat 100% bran in the morning or take SENOKOT which is OTC .
Avoid oily greasy food.
Sorry that you are having problems.  I'm wondering how long ago was your previous colonoscopy?  They are improving the procedures continuously.  I myself have unfortunately gone through three episodes of either suspected colon cancer or where they actually found cancerous polpys.   (It runs in the family.)  Given that they have previously found polys, you should suck it up and get another one. BUT, tell the doctor and the nurses your previous experience (i.e. communicate with them.)  

My recent episode (colonoscopy) was Friday (10/20).  The nurses told me they would be administering the anesthia and to start counting backwards from 100 to 1.  I never made 100! I actually did have trouble waking up in recovery, but I never felt a thing.

Best of luck Vsentz!
Thank you guys VERY much for your replies! I really appreciate them and they were really helpful. You know, I might go to the doctor and like you guys said, just suck it up and do it. Oh well, what's the worse part....not eating! lol, and if I get sick, I'll be off from work that day anyway. The problem is, I am currently trying to conceive, and if for some freak reason I get pregnant soon (I am saying that becuase I haven't been succesful in months...) then that's another issue. Anyway, thank you for the advise and God bless you all!!! =)
I felt wet and went to the bathroom & I was bleeding from my rectum just like one does when on your period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1993 so no reason to bleed. I'm still bleeding. I haven't had blood in my stool nor when I wipe. I have had a constant pain in the lower left side of my stomach for about 2 weeks. I am scared and don't know what to do. I am 45 yrs old
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers