Gastroenterology Community
Rectal mucus discharge during pregnancy?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rectal mucus discharge during pregnancy?

Stomach upset/irritable bowel is inherited in my family, so it seems and I experienced uncomfortable symptoms for a couple of years. I was told it was most likely "irritable bowel" but was given medication to see if it would work without having to get an uncomfortable test. I was prescribed Nexium, and I honestly don't remember if it worked, it was awhile ago. Well, I don't seem to have the same upset as I used to, it almost seems as if it went away for the most part, despite occasional occurrences when I get nervous...

I am currently pregnant with my first child. I am in my 39th week of pregnancy, but I've had an issue for months with bad constipation. (As well as can be expected). However, I started noticing (very occasionally, not constantly) blood when I went to release a stool. It was not a large amount, in fact, often times it was only a small dot or drop on the paper, and hardly noticeable. Sometimes I could visually see a small amount on the feces as well. This happened on occasion, but not always.

Well within the last few months of my pregnancy I started noticing a very SMALL amount of occasional clear -slightly brown tinted- anal discharge when I would try to release a stool. There was even a time I passed gas and noticed I had some discharge from the rectal area. It was very foul smelling. I was just curious as to what this might be? It's not in excess amount of blood or discharge, in fact, I haven't experienced blood from releasing a stool in quite awhile, it's more so just mucus now.

Could this have been due to pregnancy? (I have carried low throughout the entire pregnancy, and now that I've dropped it's unbelievable). So I do experience a lot of constipation, and when I finally CAN go on days that I have no issue going, I go several times throughout the day, spread hours apart usually. What does this sound like? I'll ask my doctor of course, but I'd like to hear some opinions. Thank you.