Gastroenterology Community
Rectal pain - spasms

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Rectal pain - spasms

For the last two months I have been suffering from rectal pain and occasionally I get mild irritation and pain after urinating  I have normal bowl movement, once a day. There is absolutely no pain when I get up in the morning, it started only after the passing stools and never goes off till I go to sleep. Its a mild aching pain, som days there is a constant urge to have bowl movement. Also, I noticed that when I pass stool in the morning, the rectal shuts close before the whole thing comes out. and the next day I can found that a small amount of old, hardened, dark stool which comes out first followed by a fresh stool (incomplete bowl movement ?). My PCP did a digital rectal exam and ruled our hemorrhoids, fissures etc. She suspected it to be my prostrate since urine analysis showed a trace amount of blood and referred me to an urologist. Urologist did a rectal exam and urine analysis and a cystocopy which showed a perfect bladder etc. Urologist made an observation, that she felt my rectum to be tight and it went into spasm when she tried to do the rectal exam. So, she said anal spasms is what causing all the problems and she referred me to a Physio. I asked her whether I should consult a gastro or proctologist, but she refused to make a referral and she is so sure that physio should help. What should I do, should I go to the physio and see what happens, hope they won't mess with my rectum.
I would see a Gastro doc!
When one prepares to have a bowl movement , the anal ring is involved and two anal sphincters relax their grip, open, and expell the bowel. The sphincters have no other function and only open to push-out bowels.  It may be possible that the anal ring and sphincters malfunction in some way causing the sphincters to close while a bowel is stuck and cannot be removed. Muscle contractions move undigested and digested food  through your intestines before completely digested, and maybe this action is causing your rectum to lock and hold onto bowels.

When you refer to"physio", do you mean a physiologist? You might consider a Gastroenterologist if you cannot learn an answer to your condition.

Harrald
My husband, too, has rectal pain often and is very severe and lasts around 30 minutes or longer.  I tried heating pads, even sticking the finger up a little ways to see if that would relax the rectum.  doctors can't do anything for it.  I even tried a massager and then hand massaging the area.  Nothing worked.  So, my husband laid on his back and bent his knees toward his chest.  He asked me to put pressure on his legs.  So, I got on the bed and sat on the shin area while his legs are bent and leaned forward to put some pressure on and then he asked me to stop when it was the right amount.  After I did that, the pain went away.  so, those of you that are having this problem, try this and see if it helps.
Darlene