Gastroenterology Community
Recurrent C-Diff ! Dificid question, and am very sick!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I came down with cdiff in May after being on 10 days of Augmentin for suspected bacterial bronchitis. The bronchitis was severe enough and suffered a month with it til I finally saw a doc, and it kept getting worse. At first it started out like some weird sinus infection but got worse later. Anyways, about 2 days into being on the Augmentin, my stools started to change, and it remained in this weird pattern for a few days and I knew something was not right, but suspected it was due to my not being able to eat much as I was so sick with the coughing and extreme phlegm, and being on lots of cold meds just so I could function. So, this continued.. was not diarrhea, but weird sludge formed piles or swirls. After I completed the Augmentin, thats when it all started... up to 6 BM's a day, and loose, and then it progressed rapidly into full blown diarrhea, blood, mucus, etc all by that weekend. Doctor ordered me a cdiff toxin test, but those are out-dated and  they waited to send it out and wasnt even checked til the next day, so, of course itd be negative.. So, I got treated with Flagyl anyway.. was on that for 10 days.. 500 mg, 4 times a day. Things improved, but the diarrhea stopped, but it never improved to more than semi-formed swirls. So... after that I was ok, same as when on the Flagyl and just one or 2 BM's a day. No Blood or Mucus. Then a week later.. the multiple BM's began again... and they put me back on Flagyl. I could not tolerate that med as it has terrible side effects and the 2nd round, was ten times worse and I had to go off of it within 4 days. So, went to see how it went on its own. was very stable... just the same as when on flagyl. Until 3-4 weeks later... I developed diarrhea with blood and mucus again and knew it was a true relapse. So... I managed to get the docs to order me a test for a PCR/Molecular cdiff test which is more accurate and got that done at another lab. It came back positive. But by the time the test came back, my symptoms calmed down and was back to how I was on the Flagyl.  So, a family friend who is a GI offered  to let me see them and told me to go on Vancomycin for 14 days, 4 times a day 250mg. I started the Vanco and within 2 days.. my bowels were how they used to be before the cdiff. I felt great! I felt normal again... no more weird pressure in my gut... no more fudgies, and felt overall better which made me think id just gotten used to the cdiff feeling. So, stayed on that... went fine until 2 days before I was supposed to end my course... and I felt like cdiff was back. Loose, crazy BM's and lots of yellow.. and some mucus.. and it stayed this way for a while but calmed down a bit. Had some solid stools in between and was fairly normal and thought, ok.. i beat this.  I waited it out, and a week and a half later it began again. Seemed to be triggered after drinking some cranberry juice. Gurgling... gas.. burning feeling all started. But it didnt go away. Then I had some issues while at work, it was semi diarrhea and multiple times and just strangeness that was progressing and doc put me back on Vanco, but this time for 21 days. I was hesitant.. and asked him to consider a re-test for cdiff to make sure, but he told me start then and not waste time as that was "straight line evidence of cdiff". So. I did so, and probably should have waited and demanded a test first. I waited til the next day.. and the BM was actually normallish... but he told me to do it anyway.. as it could get way worse again without warning. so, he said this would kill any remaining cdiff that might be messing around in there and trying to get back. But this next round of Vanco did not work as well. I didnt have the instant improvement... bowels got weirder and weirder and looser, then semi formed... and then I was like ok this is weird. Docs said to keep taking it, etc. I was wondering if I had been doing more damage than good now. So, while on Vanco, developed this weird right-sided muscle sprain feeling inside my colon and weird constipation of soft/loose bowels. and 3-4 BM's a day. then that slowed down. went off the vanco and symptoms returned the very next day. no blood or M, but was diarrhea and loose, and just a mess and going all morning. right sided feeling increased until i had a BM... then it calmed down a few days later but got a re-test... 8 days into being off ot it. It came back negative. However.. things got weirder... trouble passing soft stools higher up and other stuff and got another retest 2 weeks after that to make sure... since it might have been too soon off the vanco for my original test.. and that.. came back POSITIVE. So... doc appt yesterday and they said.. ok.. lets try you on Dificid.  Thats this new med that strictly is used for cdiff and helps maintain the good gut bacteria.
I do not have insurance... so we went thru the Optimer Pharmaceuticals company and got approved for dificid for free. So, I gotta wait til Tuesday to get it now as its gotta be sent out via them. So... doctor tells me.. to take vanco over the weekend or else, id most likely find myself in the ICU by Monday. This freaked me out. Though, I had no pain on palpation during the exam and he heard normal bowel sounds, etc. I guess he just thught itd get worse. So.. this morning, it got way worse. Pure Diarrhea... blood.. so much mucus it was pure mucus that came out one time.. and looked like oil just drenched in the toilet. Aching and discomfort in my colon area and feel like crap.
Started taking the Vanco this morning.

Now, problem is... with Dificid.. is that if you are taking Vanco prior to the Dificid.. the vanco could cause the dificid's effects to be lowered and less cdiff spores can possible get killed due to them going back into spore state instead of full blown vegetative state. once in spore.. the dificid might not be able to get it.
so, its a catch-22...

does anyone know anything about dificid?

And anyone else have a similar cdiff recurrence?

I am considering fecal transplant if this does not work. I am scared to death of this thing. Also, has anyone ever had a fecal transplant? My doctor performs them via gatro tube but theres a lot of red tape involved and my hubby would be my donor, but he'd need to be screened for bad gut bacteria. he has GREAT BM's and immune system of steel, but id think he'd now naturally be a carrier now since being around me. i dont know how a lot of that works.

If anyone has any info on Dificid, that would be great as my doc seems to be clueless as its a fairly new drug.. and many have been cured on it, but some not.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, its difficult to get rid of Clostridium difficile infection. Up to 20 percent of people with C. difficile get sick again, either because the initial infection never went away or because they're reinfected with a different strain of the bacteria. According to studies done, Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT or fecal transplantation) has proved highly effective at eradicating C. difficile infection and restoring a healthy gut microbiota. So, you can discuss this with your treating doctor. Regards.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers