Gastroenterology Community
Recurrent gastritis after multiple antacids and PPIs

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had moderate to severe upper abdominal pain for the last 2-3 years.  I tried aciphex, which worked great for about 6 months, then stopped working.  I switched to taking tums multiple times a day, which worked for a couple months and then stopped.  I tried Kapidex which also worked perfectly for about 3 months and then completely stopped working. Zantac worked for about a month and is now subsiding.  My doctor has added carafate, but the pains are still not gone.  They usually come when I haven't eaten for a while and let myself get hungry at all.  I try to eat every 2-3 hours but am not always able to.  I had an endoscopy recently which showed some gastritis and irritation, but nothing else.  I tested negative for H. Pylori.  My GI doc thinks I just produce too much acid, but he doesn't know why the antacids and PPIs only work for a short time and then stop working.  At this point, all he can say is that I'll probably "outgrow" it.  I'm almost 30, and this is effecting my quality of life, always having to worry about when I can eat and when the pains are going to begin next.  Any suggestions?
My doctor also said that I have Gastritis and prescribed a PPI (Zegrid). My question is what were your symtoms (symptoms) with Gastritis? Because I do not have gas, bloating or belching or acid reflux but he gave it to me because my EDG said mild gastitis and I have been having stabbing pains in my upper abdomen (not burning though). My question I guess is: Are you taking the meds for Pain or for other symtoms (symptoms) like gas, belching, acid reflux.  Because I have been taking the PPI for 2 1/2 weeks and I have not seen any change in the pain and not sure if I should continue or not.  When you said that Kapidex and other meds worked for a few months what do you mean that they worked? How? By stopping pain or other symtoms (symptoms)? Thanks for you time?
I"ve took the PPI off and on . They do not work for me.  Eating soft foods and liquids seem to help me some.  What a way to have to live.  Good luck. Hope you find some help.
My symptom is also stabbing pains. The antacids and proton pump inhibitors all worked and completely stopped my pain for a period of time, but each time the pain started back up again.