Redness, irritation anal area
Can someone please help.  For the past 3 months, I have had constant redness and irritation in the anal area.  I did go through a spell through I was immensely stressed out which caused frequent constipation.  I have never had anal sex.  I went to doctor last week who suggested it might be Hemorrhoids.  I used the cream for this and it has made it worse.  The redness is all around now.  I'd love some advice as this will not go away.  Thank you.
I don't know if this will help you but when my son was very young and he had bowel issues, he was in and out of the hospital. At one point he had a red bottom which we thought was diaper rash and it turned out to be anal strep, a strange condition. It actually began to bleed and with diapers, that is difficult to deal with! I hope you find out what it is.
Thank you so much for your advice.  I thought it could be strep and dismissed the idea without asking my doctor.
You could try putting KY jelly all over the red area after showering.  This will ease irritation and has no medication in it, water soluble.  
The product my doctor recommended to protect my son's skin was named Ilex. It was a cream, but VERY thick, like beeswax. It acted as a shield. But this was only because he was weraing diapers at the time. Probably not what you would use.
Tracy