Gastroenterology Community
Reflux or heart

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Reflux or heart

Hi and thank you for the question. I have had off and on problems with Chest pain and pressure. Two nights with in the last 5 days I have woke up around 3:00am with a burning pressure in the center if my chest and slightly to the right. I have been taking 2 15mg Prevacid a day for a full week and one a day for a bout a week or two before that. It seems to do nothing or make it worse. I have always had anxiety and for a long time was obsessed with there being a problem. I have had sever echos, ekgs, and 2 stress tests. The most recent was in September of 2012. I am 32 year old female with normal bp and cholesterol and weigh 111 5'4". My only risk factor is than my mother had heart attack at 53. She was a heavy smoker and that's the only person on either side with any cardiac issue. My father has severe reflux as doesn't brother. My concern is why the previcid isn't helping and almost seems is making things worse. Could this be cardiac related and not GI? Way do I do next? My drs just think I'm a hypochondriac and I do see a therapist for the anxiety. This chest pressure and burning is real though. I have never woke from my sleep with pain until now. The pressure has been almost constant for a full week with few breaks and I am also belching alot. Some times it feels like its getting stuck halfway up my esophagus and never makes it out. Is this air or acid? Please help the best you can over the Internet because my dr is useless at this point and everything is anxiety to him. Thank you!
I have had heart attack symptoms for 7 years.  Pressure in chest and waking up in the middle of the night with squeezing in my chest.  Doctors told me it was gerd and the medicines never worked.  I thought I was doomed to feel sick the rest of my life until now.  I quit eating dairy and found out that I had a severe reaction to dairy.  The problems can manifest within minutes, hours or even days of eating it.  That is why I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with my diet.  My symptoms are gone and my life has made a 180 degree turn for the better.  I never thought dairy could give me the severe symptoms I was having but I was wrong.  I'm posting this so hopefully I can help anyone who is having these problems.
Thank you for the post. Strange you say that because the nights I woke up I had ice cream after dinner. I'm going to give it a try and thanks again!