Reflux?you could have Eosinophilic esophagitis
Dear Chubnik,  I see you wrote in 2003, and it is now May 2008.  Well in 1987 my first esophagus attack happened, had endoscope and dilation.  Told I had GERD ...Then in 2001, another attack; this time food lodged in esophagus.  Had Endoscopy and dilation.  Now in April 2008; had another attack, food lodged.  Had endoscopy,ONLY
THIS TIME, I was no longer diagnosed with GERD.  A culture revealed I have EOSINOPHILIC ESOPHAGITIS. THIS IS AN ALLERGIC RESPONSE. Go to an Allergist. I am also allergic to NICKEL.  While they don't know what is causing the problem specifically.   There are many foods that have higher levels of nickel; corn, grains, PEANUTS; Legumes, Chocolate. I have  hay fever, I am allergic to every tree except pine trees.  What specifically caused my attack is not known.  I chew my food more careful, I buy more simple foods, organic if I can.  I only eat organic chicken, turkey.  The day o f my attack I was eating tunatataki(tuna) at the Japanese.  Fish can have high concentrations of mercury, (derivatives of nickel). Stress can also add to the dilemma.   I had a thimble of rice wine as I was eating the tuna;  and everything stopped. The doctor says it is not the tuna, or the thimble of rice wine..  That this is an allergic build-up; and then, you eat something that pushes you over the edge.  A  bland diet; checking the ingredients; staying as natural as you can, organic if possible will do more to help your daughter and anyone else with similar problems... It doesn't hurt to add a liquid vitamin NOT PILLS  they don't assimilate into your system the way they should.  Gerber puts out a DHA Brain and eye development OATMEAL CEREAL single grain. It gives you a gentle moderate amount of Zinc, Folate acid(iron)B23, B6,iron, Niacin.  I AM NOT GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE;  I AM GIVING HOPEFULLY SOME HELP FOR OTHERS. Just in c ase a vitamin would be too harsh on your system.  Our food is so unhealthy, so corrupt, our air, Lawns are covered with chemicals that we breathe.  Our water has all kinds of things in it.  I drink spring water.   Faucet water is so contaminated.  DON'T EAT PROCESSED FOODS.  At Whole Foods I buy organic spinach, cream, bread, chickens, etc.  If you read the ingredients on a box of food, and it looks like a lot to read;  don't buy it.  If you can't pronounce the ingredients; don't buy it.  Processed foods are the worse.  Also  MSG  Monosodium Glutamate,  goes under other names deceitfully, it is so bad for you; toxic and causes Allergic reactions and much more.  Don't give your children SODA; give them organic juices, spring water.  Our children are not getting a healthy chance;  we have to make sure.  Einstein said something like, " when the bees die, mankind will soon follow."  Our Bees are dying and it is probably due to all the pesticides they are absorbing. Our enviroment and our processed foods are all possible severe allergens.     When you have an Overload; your body reacts!     Lynn

This discussion is related to esophageal spasims -- chest pains.