Gastroenterology Community
Reoccuring Dull Stomach Ache

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Reoccuring Dull Stomach Ache

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've had some serious stomach problems for about 6 weeks now. Started as nausea, turned to a dull ache in my upper stomach and some lower abdomen discomfort, extreme bloating. Doctor diagnosed me with an ulcer and gave me some meds. The stomach ache comes and goes and seems to switch it up from being in my upper stomach to being in my lower abdomen. I wasn't satisied so after 3 more visits I managed to get a stronger anti acid med, blood test, urine test, stool culture, CT scan, barium xray of upper GI and ultrasound.

They all came back clear except the barium xray showed I had reflux.

So my big question is,  I have no heartburn, no burning in my esophagus, nothing like that, I just have a really bad stomach ache in my upper stomach area, can this really all be cause by an ulcer? Sometimes it aches so much it's hard to straighten up. It is often relived by sitting and reclining in a chair. It is also sometimes relived by eating. And sometimes can almost go away 100% for 3 or 4 days but then it comes back with a vengeance.

Anybody?
HEY! my name is stacy and i know what you are feeling because i get it too, mine also comes and goes as it pleases grrr i hate it. i have felt this way for sooo long and i been to the doc's too. they did the blood work, ultrasound on my whole abdomen, and i finally went to a gastrointerologist and they finally decided it possibly be a small ulcer, i do not have any blood in my stool though, and i do not vomit blood much less vomit at all. i do feel nausous ALL the time, and i also feel better when i eat. so i guess i need help too being that i always get my hopes up on the few days i feel better but it always comes back and i dont get it!
They sometimes do a test called an upper endoscopy to figure out if you actually have an ulcer.  I've had it done and it's not too bad.  This is what I experienced:  Mine was done in the hospital and they sprayed my throat with this disgustingly noxious chemical to freeze it.  They then give me a kind of twilight sedation.  Once that's done, they inserted a scope into my throat and fed a camera through the tube.  They had a look around, took some pictures and took a sample for biopsy and that was it.  It was day surgery for me and it was honestly no big deal.  The spray was the worst of it.  Please don't confuse this with ERCP which is MUCH different even though it's the same basic principle.  I've had ERCP twice, too, and it was BRUTAL both times.
If you really want to know what's going on inside because you can't live with your current symptoms, you may want to talk to your doc about this.
I wish you excellent health and every happiness!  Good luck and Godspeed!
I had/have all the same symptoms. I was treated recently woth Diflucan taken orally for a yeast infection in my skin (groin, rectal, between toes and behind knees). When I took this drug, all of my GI problems cleared up 100%. When the yeast infection returned 6 weeks later, all my GI problems returned. When I treated with Diflucan, it all went away, and vice versa.

I wonder if you have yeast infections, at least that you know of?
Thanks for the tip.  I'll raise it during my next doctor's visit.  
All the best!
Thats interesting Jim, my gf has a problem with reoccurring yeast infections. Did you have any symptoms besides the GI?

I don't really think I have any symptoms but I would be willing to give anything a try at this point.
Hey again, Seamore555.  Were you having problems moving around at all or was it strictly stomach stuff?
Hi Banned1, not really any problems moving around, but being on my feet for a length of time will cause the ache to get worse, and the bloating also feel uncomfortable while standing, but I can move around fine.

I'm one of those people who worries about a diagnosis if there is no evidence to back it up. Not that I don't trust doctors or anything, I guess it's just in my own mind. I would like to get an endoscopy done but sometimes I think maybe I should just trust the doc's opinion that it's an ulcer and ride it out, which is why I posted on here asking if this could still be an ulcer.

Thanks for all the advice.
There is so much that can be wrong so it makes sense to worry about any diagnosis.  If it is an ulcer, they'll see it during an upper endoscopy.  It's kind of scary, though.  You seem like an intelligent person so you'll know what's right for you.  

I'm sure you're doing your own research, too, since you're on this site looking for answers.  There is a fantastic resource that I've found very helpful called "The First Principles of Gastroenterology":  http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/en/Default.htm.  

I've also found it really helpful to keep a journal or a blog and your welcome to read mine if you want.  It's a great way to review your situation objectively and identify patterns in your symptoms, medications and pain level.  Hindsight is 20/20 and keeping a log might help you look at things more objectively.  

It's really difficult to deal with pain especially when it's recurring.  And believe me, you're not alone!  Try to stay positive and reach out for support.  Talk to your Doctor, your family and/or friends, co-workers, church or social service volunteers or anyone you feel safe with.  Take care of yourself.  Good luck and Godspeed.

When you do find answers, I'd love to hear what the root cause is and how you got rid of your pain.  It gives people on this site hope to hear about successes.

All the best,

Sam

Hey Banned1 thanks for the link that is a great resource.

Just as an update, I went in for an endoscopy, everything clear. No ulcers or inflammation.

Yet the pain continues as does the mystery. Very frustration and confusing.

I'm glad the upper endoscopy didn't show anything serious.  It's horrible to be undiagnosed.  You start to wonder if it's all in your head.  Especially if there are no objective findings.  So what's next for you?  A HIDA Scan would let you know if your gallbladder if functioning properly.  How often do you have your blood checked?  Are they thinking it's IBS?  When they did the ultrasound, did they do abdominal or pelvic?  

Good luck and feel free to write if you want to vent.  I usually check in a couple of times a week.

All the best,

Sam
How are you doing?

All the best,

Sam
Hello......I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux......For the previous 4-5 months, I had a dull stomach ache, or a stomach gnawing almost everyday.... - I had no idea what was wrong with me,,,,and I almost began to believe that I was crazy.....I was given bloodwork testing for heart, thyroid, cholesterol, liver, diabetes....and Pylori bacteria (cause of ulcers)....all tests came back okay.....most recently had a Upper GI done and acid reflux was confirmed....went on Zantac 150 for 8 weeks - two pills a day.....and actually began to feel normal again....although since this all started, I have modified my diet significantly.  Just went off the pills recently for about 3 weeks.....now I am experiencing actual heartburn symptoms...burning behind breastbone and mild upset stomach.....I did not want to be taking two 150's a day,,,,so I have begun taking 75's one a day to see how that works......just wanted to let you know that acid reflux symptoms are different for everyone, and stomach problems can be acid reflux related......I have been keeping a diary for the last couple of months....listing everything that I eat and drink and any symptoms that I may have......something that you may want to consider....have you considered that you may have a food allergy or intolerance.....celiac?  I began to research celiac and other food allergies and intolerances when I began having stomach issues....you should check these out online...they have an elimination diet that you can do at home.....you are allowed very specific foods and then introduce new foods slowly, so that you can see if they cause any adverse reactions - worth checking out...good luck.
Hi all,

I have no idea as to my next steps. I have a doctors appt. tomorrow with my GP so I'm going to ask him what I should do next. As for your questions Sam, I've just had blood work done, actually all my tests are very similar to boobybabs. I had all the same done and they all came back negative, when they did my ultrasound they did everything. They scanned basically from my chest down  to my groin, including my prostate.

After my endoscopy came back clear I decided to stop taking my Nexium (40g) just as a test, I'd never really had the heartburn before. After stopping my stomach ache was greatly reduced. It still bothers me but no where near the pain i had before. I've been off for about a week and the only thing I've noticed is extreme bloating after I eat, so to curb that I take Beano, the food enzyme, and that works like a charm. but just recently I started getting actual heartburn, about a week after going off the nexium. I find it kinda weird because I never had heartburn to begin with but, so far the heartburn is more manageable then the gnawing stomach ache that seemed to come with the Nexium.

So whatever comes next I have no idea, I'll keep updating for everyone and in case anyone stumbles across this in the future with the same symptoms.
How did your appointment go today?

Hang in there!

Sam
So, just it's been a while and I forgot about this thread so I thought i'd come back and post. My biopsy came back as positive for an inflammation of the stomach lining ie. Gastritis, but for an unknown cause. I took almost 3 weeks off work over the holidays and my issues seemed to heal after the first week. By the end of my vacation I felt completely cured and within the first week back at work, all my symptoms have come back in full force. My doctor has now concluded stress as being a major factor. Is this actually possible? That it could cause gastritis this bad? He seems to think I've caused the gastritis by my intake of NSAIDs, which I agree with, and now my job stress is causing my stomach to not heal. So I guess my next step is get a new job, anyone else experienced such chronic gastritis simply from stress?
First off, I'm so glad you got a diagnosis so quickly.  That's awesome!  Many of us are still waiting.  I'm really glad you had some time off to heal over the holidays.  I've heard of stress and NSAID use being aggravating factors but...WOW!  That's huge.  Have you thought of maybe taking a medical leave for a while and then going back part-time until you can get a handle on how much you can handle?  If you are one of those Type "A" personalities who are all-or-nothing 24/7, it might be difficult to find something where you won't stress yourself to distraction.  If I find anything in my research, I'll let you know.

If you have a chance, see if you can find a yahoo! group dedicated to gastritis.  These groups are very specialized.  I did a quick search but didn't find anything.  You would have to check them out to see which one(s) you wanted to join.  A group dedicated to one area of health is going to be helpful.  I belong to yahoo! groups for pancreatitis, sphincter of oddi and undiagnosed health issues.  You can search yahoo! groups for "sphincter" to find these groups.  Both Michele and Maddi's groups might have something there that would help you.  

Good luck and Godspeed!

Sam
i'm a 26 year old male and have had major stomach issues the past 4 years now.
My symptoms are:
1. It starts off with my tummy feeling delicate/senstive.
2. 2 days later a constanct dull ache sets it. I feel bloated, my tummt makes achey (achy) noises and sometimes a burning acid comes up my throat. I find relief sometimes when exercising because when my heartbeat rises, i don't feel it. I also get a mild sicky feeling.
3. Most times, this goes away after 5 days, but, once a year, stage 2 i mentioned turns into full on sickness, its so bad i cant even keep food or water down for several days. My symtoms (symptoms) are related to s tummy bug/poisoning, and yet it happens once a year.

Ive been to the doctor, had an ultrasound, and all have said IBS, acidy tummy, whats wrong with me? Im sick of it.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers