Gastroenterology Community
Restricted mobility and significant looping of the colon?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello.  I just had my first screening colonoscopy done today as I just had my 50th birthday.  All went well and no polyps were found.  However, on the report I received, I was curious about this one comment:  "The colonoscopy was somewhat difficult due to restricted mobility of the colon and significant looping."  Anyone know what this might mean?  Thanks!
It may mean a portion of your colon proved to be slightly difficult to 'move around' to allow for advancement of the colonoscope, and that you have an area (possibly the same section, or possibly not) that may be redundant - slightly longer than is known to be usual.

The lack of mobility could be due to adhesions, or it might be lacking in movement because the redundancy might 'pack' the colon tighter in that area due to lack of space.

It's something you should talk over with your doc.