Gastroenterology Community
Rib pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Rib pain

I was mowing grass one day (on a riding mower) when I got distracted. All of a sudden, I realized I was headed for an apple tree with low hanging limbs. Realizing I was about to receive a serious head injury, I leaned forward to the point that my nose was nearly touching my knees. I cleared the limb and stopped the mower. As I stated to raise to a normal seated position, I felt a searing pain in my lower left rib cage. In a normal reaction, I placed my hand directly on the area of pain. I definitely felt a hard bulge, almost like a flexed bicep. I massaged it a little and it shrunk back. The pain only lasted about 15 seconds. That was nearly three years ago. Under normal activity, I never feel any pain however, if I suddenly lean over (as in rowing a boat or, doing sit ups the old fashioned way) that stabbing pain returns, with the hard, muscle like bulge. (the bulge almost seems to be coming between two ribs) I massage it and it goes away within 10 seconds. UI want to stress that under normal activity, I have never have a problem. I can lift something heavy off the floor, I can do gardening, carpentry, even shovel snow for two hours with a normal shovel...no pain!  Any ideas?  Thanks! Geo