Gastroenterology Community
Right Uppe rQuad Pain since 2003- HELP!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Right Uppe rQuad Pain since 2003- HELP!

I have had severe pain in my right upper abdomen, under my ribs and radiating to my back since 2003.  I have had my gall bladder removed, I've been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus and take Prilosec to keep that in check.  I've had two endoscopy's, numerous ultrasounds and blood tests.  My liver function is normal, I have normal ducts according to the ultrasound and everything looks good in my stomach and duodenum.  My only obvious problem is the Barrett's.

My Gastro doc has diagnosed me with IBS and thinks that's the cause of my pain.  She says that because my blood tests are fine and the ducts look good it must be IBS.  I know what IBS feels like, and I agree, I do have it.  I get horrible cramps occasionally, maybe once every few weeks and I run to the bathroom and then I feel better...I get it...that's IBS.

The pain I have from this other "unknown" cause is insane.  It is almost as bad as the kidney stone pain I had when I passed one in the hospital.  That is horrid pain...this pain is similar in intensity.

The pain typically starts if I eat something like tortilla chips, Sun chips or salsa (but also happens with other random foods since I've stopped eating anything that previously caused the pain) .  I personally think it's the chips and not the salsa that cause the pain though.  It comes on about 1 to 1 1/2 hours after I've eaten and can last up to 6 hours.  Sometimes it resolves itself and goes away in an hour and sometimes I'm in excruciating pain for hours.  Right side beneath my ribs, radiating to my back and causing more pain when I talk or breath deeply.  I sweat and feel nauseous as well though I never vomit or have a fever.
I'm done going to the ER.  All they do is give me pain meds and I hate taking that stuff...I just want to know what's wrong with me!  I sounds like Sphincter of Oddi or even acute pancreatitis but seeing as my blood tests are normal - ducts are normal - they won't do an MRCP or and ERCP.  Just take Pamalor and I'll see you in four months the doc said today....I asked her if I should go to the ER if it gets severe again and she said, NO, it's self-limiting, which means it goes away with out treatment so there is no point in going.

She also wants me to take Bentyl when an attack comes on.

I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.  HELP!