Gastroenterology Community
Right side back, rib, and abdominal pain--mild but long-term

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm a generally healthy 23-year-old woman and am moderately active and not overweight. About 8 months ago I started having some mild back pain that was confined to my lower right side. It came and went and was quite mild. Every once in a while, I'd also experience a slight poking in my right abdomen--not painful, but noticeable. After a few months of this, I went to the doctor, who did some pushing tests and asked me questions, and said it was probably a strained muscle but ordered urine and blood tests, both of which came back normal. A few months later and the pain has started to creep into my right rib area. Sometimes it'll be in my lower back, sometimes on my side at the bottom of my ribcage or on it, and sometimes in my abdomen. The abdominal discomfort is both poky and burning at times, but all of this is mild still. I went to my doctor again, who ordered more blood and urine tests, and also had ultrasounds done on my kidneys and uterus (vaginal and regular). All came back normal again. She said she wasn't terribly concerned and that it could still be a pulled muscle, but said she could refer me to a G.I. if I wanted. I haven't taken her up on that yet, but I might.

All this to say, I'm not sure what to do or what could be the cause. My concern isn't in how much it hurts (since it'd mild pain), but in the fact that it's lasted for so long. I would say that I notice it more when I'm sitting down, and my family has a history of stomach problems--not sure if that's relevant info or not. It just seems odd that stomach/digestive problems would cause pain in my back and ribs, and that it would all be localized to the right side. Any suggestions of what to do or what may be the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi..don't be scared..I hope this helps...
Dr has ruled out any urgent problem  that is great and your info is great.so.
Start now but do not let posts even like mine scare u more..this is a suggested tool...
I  do not have med answer but....
An older doctor told me when I was young..
Keep a Diary!  of when, where, how, then if  or not, RESOLVED..for any med problem..just pertinent info..
.
State what you posted then think back..
Any falls even as a young teen that caused any damage to any part of back or abdomen,?
Any straining on bm's ...?
Holding a hard object in that area, even laptop...for extended time?
U get the idea..
Muscle/nerve pain ..There is. a massive interconnected nerve system all over head to toe..a thousand answers u could read here do not get frazzled..
Stay calm, relax and know that thoughts written might help diagnosis now or in future...

Blessings....
Thanks for the advice! I am trying not to worry too much. I tend to always assume the worst. Do you think a CT scan is necessary to rule out tumorous growths or things of that nature?

Thanks!
Hi..sorry I took so long to reply..
I think that if you keep a diary....and please get a professional to alleviate
Your fears..I know that unresolved pain issues can be soooo
Bad on your psyche...
You are so scared that u need to tell your dr what type of stomach problems your family has had..
I know that I talk like a cup of hot chocolate.....
Maybe relate to your dr that you want all areas and thoughts, tumors, etc..looked into more seriously just as u have printed here....I have no ideas about an MRI..I am not a dr and would never dare to be able to diagnose as I just wanted to help you get as much info to relate to your dr.
Again..like I say..a diary of notes and incidents "says" what u cannot tell a dr. In a 15 minute interview. I pray you will calm down. If they think you need more tests then they are the people to ask!
Blessings.......