Gastroenterology Community
Right upper quadrent pain that radiates to the back

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a 22 year old female that has been having sharp right upper quadrant pain that also radiates to my back with nausea and vomiting for the past 11months. i have had ct scans,ultrasounds blood tests,endoscopy which showed a small hiatil hernia, and they were all normal. iv'e been in the hospital many times,  im just wondering if anyone would know what this is, the pain keeps me up at night and i can hardly function at work. My gastroenterologist  doesn't know what it is so he gave up. im in so much pain that i am at my wits end with no answers and i dont know what to do.
any help would be appreciated
It sounds like gallbladder issues, and I know when I say that you're thinking it can't be. My GI person did an ultrasound and it was normal. However, the ultrasound isn't the only test that should be done to check for gallbladder issues. You should also ask the doc to run a HIDA scan with CCK injection. It will show whether or not your GB is functioning properly. All the U/S does is show whether the GB is 'structurally' sound.

Witht he two tests, further decisions can be made. But you may also have to keep in mind that there is no test we currently have that will tell you definitively if the GB really is a problem unless you have pain, the presence of stones AND a very low ejection fraction when a HIDA scan is done.

In the meantime, you may want to consider following a very low fat diet. In some cases when a person's GB is a bit dicey, you may feel better with low fat since it doesn't stress the GB quite as much.

You may also want to take a close look at any medications you may be taking. Hormones, especially birth control pills, can present a problem in someone with GB issues and pain medications, especially if they fall into the narcotic variety, can raise pressures in the common bile duct which can make the pain more acute.

Check with member of your family and see if there is a history of gallbladder issues.
thanks for answering i am currently not taking any medications because none of the meds stay down i throw them all up and even the solu tabs didnt work i have tried a low fat diet and nothing has helped. my doctor doesnt want to do any more tests he doesnt know what to do so he gave up on me coming to see him since he has no answers for me. no one in my family has had gallbladder issues.
Okay, gather up all the written reports of every test you had done and find another doc. Evidently the one you had didn't have too much in the way of diagnostic capabilities, and you certainly need one who can do everything they're supposed to. To get to the bottom of this, you're probably going to have to get a bit pushy. You're not the only one who has gone through this and probably won't be the last, unfortunately.

Keep in mind that if it is low-grade gallbladder issues, it could take weeks-to-months to see any benefit from a low fat diet. A few days or a week of changing your diet will do little.

Make sure those blood tests you had done included both liver and pancreatic enzyme levels. You might ask the doc you find to try an 'experiment' using some anti-spasm meds that can be used when someone is having common bile duct spasms. Those spasms can cause intense pain and feel very similar to a gallbladder attack. Works for some.
thanks for the input like i said i been having this pain for 11 months now and i everything i eat comes right back up the pain doesnt go away its just more sharp most of the time. I cant keep any pills down as soon as i swallow them i throw them right back up. he did check for that but everything came back normal
and sorry i forgot to mention that i have lost 100 pounds due to the throwing up.
Losing that much weight is really worrying I wish that you can find a the problem and cure as soon as possible. I lost 5 kg from my h pylori infection in 3 weeks and I got paranoid. My brother lost a around 60 pond in 6 months due to a problem he had with valve between his stomach and esophagus.  
I wish that i to can find the answer but noone seems to be helping and its getting quite frustrating already.
can any one please help the pain is so severe and im not able to take medications because it just comes right back up. im at my wits end with no answers please help