Gastroenterology Community
Risk for C. Diff.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Risk for C. Diff.

Question for people who've had recurrent/repeat episodes of C.Diff. infection that didn't clear up with one course of treatment. Did you develop C.Diff. months/years after you were over it, weeks AFTER a colonoscopy? Think I have.  

Recently read that one risk factor for getting recurrent C.Diff. infection is impaired colonic resistance from bowel evac preparation for colonoscopy test. The good-bad bacteria balance in people prone to C.Diff. infection gets out of wack from the prep, just like it can by taking certain antibiotics.  

Had C.Diff. and couple of rounds of treatment (Oct. 2008-Jan. 2009), and my Mom had it from Aug. 2008-April 2009), but never heard about this before.  

Had colonoscopy June 7 for rectal bleeding. About 6 weeks after the colonoscopy (which came back 100% normal),  passed mucus twice and have had diarrhea and liquid stools since. Yesterday, rapid C. Diff. stool test came back negative. Still, I think I have C. Diff.---albeit milder case than before. (False negative rate with rapid tests is high.)    

It baffles me. Haven't been on antibiotics (like the first time) and I haven't been exposed to C.Diff. spores, either (to my knowledge), which was the case when I was helping Mom. Maybe the colonoscopy prep. threw my system off and I was exposed to bacteria afterwards. (My bad--been doing a lot of gardening this summer without wearing gloves. Soil carries C. Diff. bacteria!)

Since symptoms started about 2 1/2 weeks ago, have been taking more Florastor (went from 1 pill a day to 2) and upped the probiotics to 2-3 pills a day, instead of 1 pill a day. Also upped the yogurt and kefir drink from once daily to 3 times/day each.

NOT suggesting people shouldn't have colonoscopies. Just cautioning that for those with past C.Diff. infection(s), it's a risk.

Wish I knew; would've upped probiotics, kefir, etc. starting weeks before after the colonoscopy. Suspect my doctors are not aware of risk.  

----Yvette
My husband is recovering from his second episode of what is presumed to be C. Diff.  First one cleared up quickly with Flagl; second one did not respond to Flagl and was changed to Vancamycin type drug.

His colonoscopy was several months before first episode but he had commented that things just had not seemed to go back to normal after the colon prep routine.

We are actively supplying multiple cultures especially since he is on another round of heavy duty anti-biotics.  The doc recomended multi-dophilus plus which requires refrigeration.  He is continuing with it but it did not seem to make much difference.  He started eating a couple different brands of Greek style yogurt which have multiple live cultures.  I have read about a yeast (helpful not candida) being used extensively in Europe.  We have just found it locally and the "consultant" said she had gotten good feedback from other customers.  I cannot remember the yeast name but it is commonly referred to with 2 letters, sp, I think.
Thanks for your note. Sorry to hear about your husband. This C. Diff. stuff is terrible to go through. It's interesting that his system's never quite been the same since the colonoscopy prep.

My doctor said he'd see me in another 10 years for a screening colonoscopy. Maybe not, after the way I've been feeling this week!

I'm not sure if the product you're talking about is the same or maybe it's much like the Florastor, which is also a yeast studied and used extensively in Europe. The helpful organism in it is Saccaromyces boulardii lyo. Florastor is hard to find around these parts (Midwest US), though many pharmacies like Walgreens have it behind the counter or can order it. Also, some of our local WalMarts have started to carry it very recently, like within the past couple weeks, on the shelf.

Keep us posted as to how things go.

Take care,
Yvette