Gastroenterology Community
Root-like Material in Stool
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Root-like Material in Stool

Tonight I went to the bathroom, and when I had a bowl movement, I had a rather large root-like thing in my stool. I've never seen anything like that before, and it's kind of worrying. I'm not sure if I didn't digest something properly or if it might be something else. Embarrassing to admit, but I also seem to have an excessive amount of gas lately and anal itching for the past couple of months.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
So my question is, is this normal? Is something really wrong? What can I do about it until I go to the doctor?
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

While the root like think could undigested plant matter, since this was a single episode it may not be anything to worry about. Flatulence could occur due a few causes such as stress, aerophagia, gastroesophageal reflux, malabsorption syndromes,  lactose intolerance, GI infections/ parasitic infestations, increased dietary intake of oligosaccharides, dairy products beans, lentils, onions, garlic, scallions, leeks, turnips, rutabagas, radishes, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cashews, oats, wheat, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage etc. You could start by making changes in your diet. If this does not seem to help, I would suggest consulting a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703